Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] why transistors are classified according to their collector emitter voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7@rB

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, am new here
why in datasheets of any transistor the most important thing and it seems that transistors are classified according to Vce?

Re: electronic elementary questions

Vce, This is the maximum voltage that the transistor can withstand between its collector (c) and emitter (e), it realistically sets the maximum power supply voltage, though with careful design the PSU voltage can be above this figure, but watch out!!
Frank

Reactions: 7@rB

7@rB

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: electronic elementary questions

thank you..but what do you mean by PSU voltage?

power supply unit voltage

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

there is more to a transistor than just its Vce

7@rB

Hi,
as you know the dissipated power in transistors is : Ic*Vce
so it is obvious that how important it is.

7@rB

hi digi001
I know that there is much more but my question is why in datasheets they much focus on Vce

Because there is no virtue more important than plain
survival.

Ok
let me tell u more...
-It is important because we must know the exact details of bias point.We have to know the least Possible Value of vce for being in saturation region.
49_1330871789.jpg

-For making current sources , we like to have the most swing of the voltage . in most of the times Vce appoints this value called "Vmin" . Look at this :
62_1330871482.jpg

-We always like to reduce the power dissipated on transistors.Ok?now imagine we wanna use a circuit the has the maximum yield (least power dissipation) . So it is obvious that we have to know Vce (p=Vce*I)
for example we wanna choose between bc107,q2n2222 . well. we go and check datasheets.

7@rB

Status
Not open for further replies.