Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the simulation is slow on my notebook?(2-3GB of data)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxing

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why simulation is slow

Hello everybody,

I have IC5033 of my HP nx5000 notebook with suse 9.1. Everything is fine except that when the simulation data is larger (about 2G or 3 G), it's very slow. I see the hardriver light is flashing and sometime, looks like the simulation is stop. Can anybody tell what's the problem? It's because of suse or of my notebook?
By the way, the laptop have 25G for linux and 512M RAM.

Thanks in advance!

Why simulation is slow

i think u dumpfile to HD frequently...
most time is hold to wait IO transfer data ...

Why simulation is slow

Hi troops,

Thanks for your reply! Can you tell me how to change the setup of configuration to avoid this problem?

Re: Why simulation is slow

i think your RAM is not enough for your large simulation so the data use the swap memory from HD.
I had a similiar problem too when i have 512MB RAM only. The solution is to increase the RAM to 1G.

nxing said:
Hello everybody,

I have IC5033 of my HP nx5000 notebook with suse 9.1. Everything is fine except that when the simulation data is larger (about 2G or 3 G), it's very slow. I see the hardriver light is flashing and sometime, looks like the simulation is stop. Can anybody tell what's the problem? It's because of suse or of my notebook?
By the way, the laptop have 25G for linux and 512M RAM.

Thanks in advance!

The vey basic difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit OS . Software runs on 32 bits OS can't produce an output file bigger than 4G, sometime just 2 G

The vey basic difference between a 32 bit and 64 bit OS . Software runs on 32 bits OS can't produce an output file bigger than 4G, sometime just 2 G

Hi, all:

I've the similiar problem too, but my IBM notebook is running on Red Hat 8.0 with 256MB RAM and PIII 800MHz CPU installed on it. Each time when I run circuit simulation from Spectra, it takes a long time for the cursor to settledown and it is very hard to move a cruve between two adjacent splitted windows. The simulation time becomes logner exponentially when the design circuit becomes complex. How do I fix this kind of problem ?

Hi, all:

I've the similiar problem too, but my IBM notebook is running on Red Hat 8.0 with 256MB RAM and PIII 800MHz CPU installed on it. Each time when I run circuit simulation from Spectra, it takes a long time for the cursor to settledown and it is very hard to move a cruve between two adjacent splitted windows. The simulation time becomes logner exponentially when the design circuit becomes complex. How do I fix this kind of problem ?

Can you tell us more what simulation program are you using? what are you simulating ? How long and what time step are you using? Is you output hit the limit yet (2GB-4GB)? Sometimes it you don't do it right, the simulation just stuck.

Why simulation is slow

I was told by somebody that this is a problem of the operating system of Suse 9.1 but there should be no this kind of problem on RH8.0.

Why simulation is slow

I think 512Mb ram is enough for the simulate.

I have heard the reason why simulation is too slow
1. Frequently IO read write
2. unsufficient memory buffer
3. bad coding style, too much dummy loop
4. too old OS version.
5. continuous showing unuseful warning message.

A friend of mine is pretty satisfied running IC5 on his IBM Thinkpad T30 [Pentium4 2GHz : Memory 1G : OS RH8], except sometimes the 16MB video card is able to freeze the screen. The way to cure it, as told by him, is to put the laptop into hibernation mode and then un-hiberate it by press Fn-PgUp on the IBM keyboard.

Why simulation is slow

if hibernation it ,how can I see the result.

dumeHCM said:
Can you tell us more what simulation program are you using? what are you simulating ? How long and what time step are you using? Is you output hit the limit yet (2GB-4GB)? Sometimes it you don't do it right, the simulation just stuck.

The simulation program I used with IC 5.0 on my IBM TinkPad is Cadence Spectra.
The circuit I simulated is CMOS-based circuit. The run time I set for the simulation is 500ns /1000ns and the step time 10 ns.

ie2019 said:
A friend of mine is pretty satisfied running IC5 on his IBM Thinkpad T30 [Pentium4 2GHz : Memory 1G : OS RH8], except sometimes the 16MB video card is able to freeze the screen. The way to cure it, as told by him, is to put the laptop into hibernation mode and then un-hiberate it by press Fn-PgUp on the IBM keyboard.

I agree with what you say. the simulation speed really depends on the CPU speed and amount of RAM. I've got the experience with faster simulation on another desktop HP Pavilion with P4 CPU of 2GHz and 512MB RAM and RH 8.0 installed on it.

Why simulation is slow

you can use hdpara -tT /dev/hda1 to see the harddisk speed. if it not reach more than 54M, you should open the DMA of harddisk, in my computer
it reach to 120M(8M cache ,7200).

I think this is the a common problem for laptop/notebook computer. Because they are optimized for long battery life, long standby time...., and many many jobs except scientific calculations and EDA tasks. For example, the HD I/O speed for notebook is much less than one for desktop. Also the CPU is focus on low-power, not high performance.

buy a faster machine

Status
Not open for further replies.