Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the NF has worsened when mixer was added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liberal

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I design a Receiver as below with MiNi's Product .
>>
>> filter---AMP----MCA1-24---MAR-6--filter--amp2--
>>
>> nowthe receiver NF tested is 14dB.
>>
>> But the first filter and AMP 's Gain and NF tested is 14.8dB and 9dB
>>
>> the MAR-6\ filter and amp2's Gain and NF tested is 28dB and 2.8dB
>>
>> but why the NF is worsened to 14dB when added Mixer MCA1-24,the LO I
>> used is better.the MCA1-24's VSWR is not very good,does it matter?can
>> u tell me why the NFworsened?Thank you.

Re: why NF worsened??

Because the mixer has around 8 db of loss.

Search on google for a "cascaded noise figure" tool to help you determine the overall gain and noise figure of the receiver chain. Add ALL of the components during the calculation.

A mixer with 8 db of conversion loss would be inputed as -8 dB gain, and 8 dB noise figure.

Also, there is a chance that you are going to have 3 dB more noise figure than you expect due to image noise--it depends on the frequency plan and the filters you use.

Re: why NF worsened??

Something is not ok. Even if you have a high insertion loss input filter (let's say 5dB) and a poor 2dB NF LNA, you get better than 14dB system NF.
Download AppCAD software, go to Signal-Systems/NoiseCalc and verify what is going wrong.

http://www.hp.woodshot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back