Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the capacitance of 180nm is the same as 32nm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john7796

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I find out the data following:

180nm process : the capacitance of M1 : 0.2fF/um.
32nm process : the capacitance of M1 : 0.2fF/um.

But the metal 1 line area of 32nm process should smaller much than 180nm process.

Why their capacitance is almost the same?

Please help me! Thanks.

John

Probably both processes used the same BOX with the same electrical permittivity and the same distance between metal paths and substrate.
Notice that You mentioned about M1 capacitance per unit area.

Dominik Przyborowski,

My mentioned is the length of Metal line.

Could low-k process/high-k process at the same chip ?

My mentioned is the length of Metal line.
With the same width?

Could low-k process/high-k process at the same chip ?
Everything is possible but nobody mixing two quite different processes - it's inpractical.

High-K processes was invited to overcame problems with very thin gate oxide, like tunnelling current, breakdown voltage, etc. But everything above transistors (burried oxide, metal layers distance) are quite similar.

Dominik Przyborowski,

Yes, in the same width, and should be metal 2.

Could High-K for transister, Low-K for metal-line?

In each technology process You have two types of dielectric. Gate oxide (in old technologies it was only SiO_2 or SiON, while in high-K it's stack of two dielectrics like SiON and HfO2) and burried oxide for metal layers isolation. Of course we need high electrical permittivity materials for gate oxide for high current gain factor and low permittivity materials to avoid capacitive coupling between metal paths.

If You want to study about processes, I think the best knowledge mines are Solid state electronics, transactions on electron devices and electron devices letters journals.

Last edited:
Dominik Przyborowski,

Could you give me capacitance of every metal layers at 28nm ? Any FEB's data is ok.

John

From 180nm to 32nm, although space is smaller, k is lower and metal thickness is thinner too. So, the capacitance would be not larger.
Ex., M1 thickness 5300(180nm) vs 900(28nm); k value 3.7(180nm) vs 2.63(28nm)

Littlej_zju,

Could you tell me the unit of thickness ? 5300 nm VS 900nm? but it seems too small?

Littlej_zju,

Do you know the SRAM capacitance of 28nm process?

I don't have such data on my hand. Maybe, you can get it from published papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back