Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why SoftICE 2.7 doesn't break??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesfet

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
softice usb keyboard

Hi all,

I am developing a 8051 programmer in windows xp. I use assembly for my programming language. SoftICE from "SoftICE Driver Suite 2.7" is used for debugging my program. To my surprise, the symbol loader doesn't work!!! When I load my program, the symbol loader just load the program and execute it without breaking!!!! Can anyone tell me if it is my problem or it is the problem of all others.

mesfet

softice usb

I did try a day DS 2.7 and winxp. It did never break neither.
As far I could see, even if DriverStudio claim that softice supporting fully XP, it is nothing else than commercial craps.

try any other debuggers. A new debugger called OllyDbg getting better on each new version.

http://home.t-online.de/home/Ollydbg/odbg109.zip
(this link isn't releated to any illegal stuff, olldbg is free only been stated sharware for copyright purpose. U can use it only for free purpose)

I personally use this tool when I have to deal with FPU stack in a heavy float opcode flow.

With regards

softice symbol loader

Hi incognito,

I am agree with you. Even I try the patch, softice still doesn't break!!

mesfet

softice xp patch

What do you use for break? If Bpx, try Bpm also.

osinfo_xpsp1.dat

Hi Analyzer,

In the past, when a program is loaded, s-ice will break at the entry point of the program. This feature is very good and can avoid a lot of unneccessary breaking. But now, s-ice doesn't break at the entry point.
I am going to install windows me or 98, and use older version of s-ice.

mesfet

break command in softice

Hi,

Try this patch it should work also with XP.

Bye

download soft-ice 2.6

Hi redsk_y,

There are two "nmtrans.dll" in softice 2.7, one is in "softice" dir. and another is in "driverworks\bin". I have applied the patch to both "nmtrans.dll". BUT softice still DOESN'T break! I have tried loading acroread and cuteftp, no break at all. The os I am using is windows xp with sp1.

Are there any other tricks for setting up softice?

mesfet

softice break at driver entry

Below is FAQID1348 from compuware website it solved the same problem on my pc

file slao attached:

There are several options for SoftICE support of Windows XP Service Pack 1

(Option 1 - (For 2.6 and later SoftICE users) - Use "NTSYMBOLS=ON" in your winice.dat and download, translate, and load the symbols for
ntoskrnl.exe. The downside to this is that a USB keyboard or USB mouse will not work in SoftICE.

(Option 2) - (For 2.7 and later SoftICE users) - Obtain a copy of osinfo_XPSP1.bat from ftp://ftp.compuware.com/pub/driverstudio/outgoing/OsInfo/osinfo_XPSP1.dat. Rename that file to osinfo.bat. Copy the file to your \winnt\system32\drivers directory and reboot
- NOTE. Copying over the file is the only item required. You will NOT need to update your winice.dat with NTSYMBOLS=ON. You will most likely not need symbols.

(Additional Support Note)
- NOTE. There is an additional set of steps that may be required. You will know that the steps below
are required if a hook failure on NtTerminateProcess shows up in the SoftICE Command Window.
1 - Update osinfo.dat and start SoftICE
2 - Type in 'mod ntoskrnl'.
This will give you information on ntoskrnl.
The piece of information that we are interested in is the "Base" of ntoskrnl.
Make note of the base address.
3 - From the SoftICE command line type in
On Single Processor Kernels - '? (base address of ntoskrnl that we got from the mod command)+0xBDC32
On SMP Kernels - '? (base address of ntoskrnl that we got from the mod command)+0xDEBF2
Write this address down.
4 - Using regedit go to the "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntice\ key
5 - Add a dword value called 'Addr.NtTerminateProcess'
6 - Set the value of this entry to the address that was calculated in step 3 above. Do not include the 0x.
7 - Reboot and you are good to go.

NOTE: All references to 2.6 and/or 2.7 refer to all variants of SoftICE packaging. Namely DS 2.6, SIS 2.6, SoftICE 4.2.6 are all equivalent. Same goes for the 2.7 variants.

Regards

NTFreak

softice 2.7

Press Ctrl + D to popup softice,
Type the following:
SET BreakInSharedMods ON
press enter.

Yap BPX :prob Solved!!!

softice symbol @ss not loaded

lol man, it didn't, xp sp2, omg, why would i update my box to sp2, aaaargh..

downloaded osinfo.dat from numega, copied it, open notepad.exe, enter some text, try close, msg box pops up, softice - no. same test fails with small console program wich calls MessageBoxA....

muther fuucker, i have to debug the program, and this ware won't work, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

softice does not start on my winxp sp2

I have SIce (DS 3.2) and everything else installed on my lap and it works fine,
really fine.
Just a little problem...
My F11 function (F11="^G @SS:ESP;") doesn't work...
Can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back