Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Why so much power thru opamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Simple circuit yet huge power thru opamp. Whats wrong here?

Untitled.png

We can't check if the expression posted in the screenshot is actually representing U1 power, nor if the LM675 model is connected correctly.

For a useful answer, you can zip the simulation files (schematic, OP symbol and model) and post it. Or check the simulation details yourself by looking at individual current and voltage waveforms.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
the high current is through D1, D2. When U2 is hi U1 is lo, 29V supply, check the true zener voltage of these .... (D1, D2)

Zak28

Apparently an inappropriate LM675 model. It generates internal voltage higher than power supply, dumping into substrate diodes. Must not use the model with saturated output.

Where did you get the model?

the high current is through D1, D2.
No.

Zak28

It does NOT matter which oamp is used, look in the first pic, the ad8512 was implace and huge power flowed.

It does NOT matter which oamp is used, look in the first pic, the ad8512 was implace and huge power flowed.
Sorry, that's BS. I can insert a different OP and the circuit is working fine. You have imported LM675 model in the original picture, there's apparently no AD8512 model, the symbol name doesn't matter.

If you have an AD8512 model showing the same effect, please post it. It's not provided with Ltspice.

Zak28

O.K., I didn't notice that AD8512 is now included with Ltspice (due to the Linear/ADI merge). Problem is however similar, inappropriate OP model. Current is driven by G1 into D1 and D2 (supply rail clamp). It's a functional model not covering 2nd stage saturation.

Code:
* SECOND STAGE & POLE AT 50 Hz
R5   9  98  8.16E4
C3   9  98    39E-9
G1   98  9    5  6  7.8E-1
V2   99  8    1.8
V3   10 50   1.8
D1   9   8    DX
D2   10  9    DX

You may want to complain at the ADI forum.

- - - Updated - - -

As a simple test, open the AD8512 test fixture, change R1 to 2K (results in clipping output voltage). Watch the supply currents.

ad8512 test.PNG

Zak28

...Problem is however similar, inappropriate OP model...

I was right about this, I have yet to see a normally behaving opamp in ltspice.

I received a comment from Helmut Sennewald, Yahoo Ltspice forum, he mentioned that older models (like the AD8512 one) often did not model supply currents, regardless which manufacturer. Following this interpretation, you should avoid any assumption about OP supply currents.

I didn't yet observe unrealistic high supply currents with any originally supplied Linear OP model, but I didn't yet check for useful quiescent current.

Status
Not open for further replies.