Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why should in photo diode and solar cells?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_kumar

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why should we keep P-layer in the top for Photo diode N-layer for the case of solar cells

i found in malvino that the photo diode is optimized to be operated in the reverse bias condition(i.e movement of minority charge carriers) while the solar cell in the forward bias condition
but i couldn't find the reason why it is done so

A photodiode is operated in the reverse biase region since an external reverse bias voltage is applied to it and if light falls on it there is an increase in the reverse bias current by many orders.
A solar cell on the other hand works by producing a voltage across its terminals and this voltage is positive on the p type region thus its like a forward bias voltage, but the current still is the reverse bias current, i.e the current is still flowing from n to p(think of how battery works). This is just like a small battery. So a solar cell actually operates in the IV quadrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back