Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Why PLL is a negative feedback system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bladewade

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A question in Razavi's book--RF Microelectronics. I don't understand the answer it gives: The phase detector provides both negative and positive gains. Thus, the loop automatically locks with negative feedback.

I think, you can answer the question yourself by looking at slope of the transfer characteristic of the phase detector and assume different start phases for the lock process.

I don't have the book, but the answer sounds very visual.

I think I get it now. Thanks for your help.

Another question: could you please explain to me why retiming flipflop can remove divider phase noise? Is it because retiming flipflop kind of eliminate the uncertainty brought by divider jitter?
Thank you in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I think, you can answer the question yourself by looking at slope of the transfer characteristic of the phase detector and assume different start phases for the lock process.

I don't have the book, but the answer sounds very visual.
Another question: could you please explain to me why retiming flipflop can remove divider phase noise? Is it because retiming flipflop kind of eliminate the uncertainty brought by divider jitter?
Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.