Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why n+ and p+ are used by welltap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The p+ bulk p-substrate connection is always connected directly to GND (or the most negative potential). The n+ bulk connection of an n-well, in the majority of cases is directly connected to VDD (or the most positive potential), but not necessarily so: in order to avoid the substrate effect, it can be connected to a lower potential, e.g. connected directly to the source of a cascode-connected pmos transistor (which needs its own n-well, in such case).

Sorry, maybe I hadn't made myself understood. I mean why p- substate is not connected to VSS directly, but a p+ implant has to be between them?

erikl said:
The p+ bulk p-substrate connection is always connected directly to GND (or the most negative potential). The n+ bulk connection of an n-well, in the majority of cases is directly connected to VDD (or the most positive potential), but not necessarily so: in order to avoid the substrate effect, it can be connected to a lower potential, e.g. connected directly to the source of a cascode-connected pmos transistor (which needs its own n-well, in such case).

the reason is to reduce contact resistor.

Directly connecting metal to a weakly doped n or p area usually ends in
a schottky contact and not in an ohmic contact. Therefore a strongly
doped contact area is formed to reduce this effect.

Best Regards

Andi

All the answers are perfect.

Adding my 2 cents -
The tap points really need to have highest doping density at the surface level - in addition to P+ Implant, there must be PDIFF as well.

Due to finite velocity [finite ion energy range 50 - 500 KeV] of Ions, in the implant procedure, the dopants does penetrate inside the silicon substrate/surface they do not reside right on the surface, even after RTA [ thermal annealing] this does not give optimal density at the surface.

To have desired density, they usually always do a P+ diffusion on the top of the P+ implantation to P-substrate regions, wherever a PTAP is needed.

The case is similar for NTAP [NWELL TAP] as well, they have NIMP + NDIFF over NWELL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back