Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is PIC better than AVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's correct. Some one shouldn't compare an Apple Power PC 4 with an intel 386 pc, We need to have a comparitive study between the best PIC, best AVR(mega128) and best 8051 (C51ED2)

Hi All!
Correctly said that if u want to compare PIC's with AVR's then compare any dsPic with any AVR and then decide.

As a designer i have always based my decisions on the requirements for a particular project.

I started with PIC's and i am still using it.

I have used AVR's and think that they are also very nice chips.

I have worked on LPC series(ARM7) by philips and think that they are the best.

But still whenever i need to decide a microcontroller i consider the three categories. e.g my latest project needed CAN interface. I studied all the three controllers and then selected a combination of PIC and LPC. I rejected ATMEL because only a few devices with CAN module are available and they too were not available at any of my sources(see www.findchips.com).

So in my opinion don't be possive about any microcontroller. Study your requirements and budget and then select a microcontroller.

Regards.

I never write codes with the same application for different MCUs from different manufacturers, and even different MCUs from one manufacturer so I cannot say which MCU is faster or better. In fact, I never talk about comparing MCUs, just this specific MCU is better choice for this application, bla bla, ..

However, I do not agree with some guys said that AVR must be faster than PIC, and then 8051 based on numbers of clock of each instruction cycle/machine cycle. If your argument is right, 8051 must disappear from the earth when the first PIC appeared, and then the PIC's turn when AVR appeared, especially when the newer MCUs come with the new features that the old ones do not have.

But I do think that, in some specific applications, with 1 clock for 1 instruction cycle, code for AVR is much easier to be written than for PIC (with 4 clocks for 1 instruction cycle), and 8051 (with 12 clocks for 1 instruction cycle).

Choosing which MCU depending your education, your experiences, your code writing skill and your local market either. For the time being, purchasing a 8051 is still much easier than PICs and then AVRs. Doing that, you will ensure your design is much better than others'.

nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back