Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is most Linux software still GNOME/Gtk dominant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejas14

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I keep hearing that developing for GNOME shell is a pain in the ass and that Gtk isn't all that well documented, yet I see most of the mainstream software in the Linux community using it as a toolkit base. Why isn't Qt based apps more common or any other toolkit?

I keep hearing that developing for GNOME shell is a pain in the ass and that Gtk isn't all that well documented, yet I see most of the mainstream software in the Linux community using it as a toolkit base. Why isn't Qt based apps more common or any other toolkit?
Hello

most likely the reason is very unclear license for Qt. Theoretically everybody who is using application based on Qt should pay license fee (of course it is in brief).

Best Regards

I keep hearing that developing for GNOME shell is a pain in the ass and that Gtk isn't all that well documented, yet I see most of the mainstream writemyessay.onl software in the Linux community using it as a toolkit base. Why isn't Qt based apps more common or any other toolkit?

I am very glad that GNOME Shell 3.36 will check for updates for extensions at startup, install and apply them if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.