Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is great "pwm dimming" feature not mentioned in LED driver IC's datasheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Why is great "pwm dimming" feature not mentioned in LED driver IC's datasheet?

Hello,
The MAX16834 LED driver IC obviously performs disconnection of its error amplifier output from the feedback compensation components during PWM dimming “OFF” intervals. (this can be seen from the block diagram on page 8 of the max16834 datasheet, where a switch can be seen at the output of the error amplifier).

This feature vastly improves PWM dimming performance, so why does the max16834 datasheet not boast about it at all?.. the datasheet doesn’t even mention this feature..surely this great feature should be advertised on the first page of the datasheet?

MAX16834 datasheet:
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX16834.pdf

Re: Why is great "pwm dimming" feature not mentioned in LED driver IC's datasheet?

Hi,

"PWM dimming" is mentioned at least five times on the first page, even the headline includes it.

Also the large 1:3000 dimming range is nentioned?

So i don't understand your question.

Klaus

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Why is great "pwm dimming" feature not mentioned in LED driver IC's datasheet?

Yes but it doesnt mention the disconnection of the error amplifier, in the pwm dimming "off" intervals, which is the feature which vastly improves pwm dimming...why do they not mention this.....i mean, its a massive selling point.......its like trying to sell a gold bar and just calling it a "nice shiny piece of metal".....sureley, you tell people its a gold bar, worth a fortune.

So if I have your question right, you want to know why
Marketing has no idea of what matters to Applications
or what Design thought was a great feature?

Sounds like a technical problem to me. Yeppers.

I think the answer lies with what kind of person goes
into marketing. This is either a failed engineer, or a
non-engineer, in my observation. Either of which then
makes for a superficial grasp of values, at best.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back