Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is Diode Barrier potential not measurable by Volt meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barath_87

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Diode Drop

Why is the Diode Barrier potential not measurable with Volt meter?

<I know that Some Multimeters have a provision to measure the diode drop. My doubt is why is the potential not measurable directly?>

Re: Diode Drop

A diode is not a voltage source - it does not generate voltage by itself ..
A voltmeter, on the other hand, only measures voltages generated by voltage sources such as batteries, power supplies etc. etc. ..
Apply current to a diode (voltage source + series resistor) and then measure voltage accross it ..

Regards,
IanP

thats because once you put in the multimeter or the voltmeter terminal across the diodes it will source in a current which is possible only if the potential barrier is broken. hence you may not be able to measure it. this is my opinion.

having a barrier voltage doesn''t mean that u should have a meter reading.
No current is flowing through diode contacts. This is not device level measurements.

barath_87 said:
Why is the Diode Barrier potential not measurable with Volt meter?

<I know that Some Multimeters have a provision to measure the diode drop. My doubt is why is the potential not measurable directly?>

Use a multimeter which have a diode symbol. That one will inject around 1 miliamper and measure the voltage as well.

BTW, how could you detect easily differences between a germanium diode and a schottky diode as long both have the same voltage drop across them at a given current of say 10mA ?

50 shit points REWARD for a right answer!

BTW, how could you detect easily differences between a germanium diode and a schottky diode as long both have the same voltage drop across them at a given current of say 10mA ?

50 shit points REWARD for a right answer!
While checking with multimeter, touch diode with hot iron. If germanium, voltage drop will decrese more rapidly than shottky. Awnser after 4 years is just for reference.

Reactions: Raza

Raza

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Well done @ALERTLINKS.
But I think you might need your hat to deal with those 50 'special' points :lol:

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back