Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is boost convert mostly used for PFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faikelvan

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I was wondering why boost converter is mostly used for PFC applications? I have a couple of ideas myself, and I wanted to confirm these with expert opinions. I have just compared buck and boost, these two being the most simple form of SMPS. I don't know if any other topology is used in PFC applications. I think the reasons may be:

1- Driving MOSFET in boost converter is easier than high side switching for buck converter.
2- Since input voltage is a sine wave or a rectified sine wave, there are zero crossings. Trying to step down these areas in a buck converter might be problematic, hence lowering the input current THD might be more challenging.

What are your opinions?

#2 is the main reason. Also the boost has continuous input current which relaxes the demand put on input filters to meet emc specs.

A buck converter needs to have a Tx if it wants to process power off the rectified mains down to low volts, the boost works from 0-> mains peak, a plain buck can only work when Vin > Vout.... and usually Vout is >385VDC, so a buck will never work here....

Status
Not open for further replies.