Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why I|Q channel for DCR(direct conversion receiver) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivek1214

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fm receiver dcr

hello to all,
I have doubt in direct conversion receiver(DCR) that why we convert signal in to I and Q component whereas hetrodyne doesnt need this I\Q channel.

If I/Q will be used or not depends (among others) on the type of modulation. For example a simple FM receiver may not use I/Q and demodulate the signal directly in an IF freq. However in major communication stds like WCDMA, GSM, OFDM (WLAN, WiMAX) etc. I/Q is used in the signal chain even if the receiver is not direct conversion. For example you can down-convert the signal to an IF and then down-convert I/Q from the IF to baseband. Direct conversion is used because it saves the extra down-conversion stage and all the associated hardware.

only I/Q can give you phase information, if you want to demodulator signal from phase information, then you need I/Q, else only I or Q is needed such as FSK demodulator with PLL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back