Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why I can't have a right simulation result for antenna by HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kent5566007

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I just want to compare the antenna characteristic between simulation, processed by HFSS 13, and real sample purchased from market. I learned the simulation step by step from forum, YouTube and HFSS helper.

But it comes up with huge different result. I try very hard to get a matched simulation, but keep fail and fail.

Is anyone could point out the wrong procedure I processed? Here is the simulation details as following,
  • Draw the outline of antenna on XY plane with +-0.1mm deviation.
step1.png

• Add substrate and air space.
step2.png

• Draw an IC input and two inductor patch on each sides of IC.
step3.png

• Setup the material for copper antenna with 1.4mil thickness and 0.4mm for FR-4 epoxy substrate.
step4.png

• Apply Solution Type as Driven Terminal. Setup Perfect E for inductors patches and lumped port input with 28.31+204.1j impedance, which is Alien H3 chip with 28.31-204.1 impedance.
step5_.jpg

• Setup boundary radiation for air space.
step6.png

• Setup the max number of passes and Delta. S.
step7.png

• Setup the sweep.
step8.png

• Validate and run the analyze.
  • Finally, I open the Terminal S parameter result, it turns totally wrong.
result.png

Note: all the dimension was measured by microscope with +-0.1mm variation.

According to this result, this RFID can’t even be read from 1 meter away. I run the test by Voyantic test bench to compare the real situation, it shows the conjugate frequency around 940MHz with read range over 5 meter away. And according to my experience, there is no way to come up with such difference with slightly dimension variation.

Please help to give me a hint, I stuck with this problem for two months, and just can’t figure it out.

Thanks,

Hi @kent5566007,

I think we need some more information. You said the simulation result was "totally wrong"; what were you expecting? If you plot ReZ11 and ImZ11, what values do you see?

Hi @PlanarMetamaterials ,
The main purpose of this simulation is I want to make sure I use correct processes before I make a design. Therefore, I just simulate a real sample and compare with its performance by Voyantic test bench.
As I know, if test bench shows the longest read range at specified frequency, test from 800MHz to 1GHz. Which means the conjugate impedance would happen around that frequency.

Now I get the result, which is 940MHz as the longest read range. So I assume that the conjugate impedance would happen around 940MHz.
impedance.png

Thanks,

To avoid misunderstanding with port impedance definition, I would use a test case to see if HFSS requires the conjugate impedance or the device impedance.

Hi @volker@muehlhaus ,
sorry to my confusion, I am not sure the meaning of device impedance. Does this means antenna impedance with 50Ohms input?
If not, would you like to help to give more details?

Many thanks,

I meant that you can try with opposite sign for the imaginary part.

Or do a test case to verify that you get S11=0 in HFSS when the port impedance is conjugate match. It is a bit fuzzy in RF simulators what to specify as port impedance for complex loads, so you better double check the sign of the imaginary part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back