Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why get negative gain value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker5678

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
common source, negative gain

I am designing an op amp with folded cascode input stage , and a push pull common source output stage. But after hands on calculation, i run spice simulation, and the result showes minus gain value.
What's the problem might be?

why get minus gain value?

post ur schematic

Re: why get minus gain value?

the circuit[/img]

I dont understand what is the problem with negative gain ??

The opamp is inverting, a common source input stage has a 180 degrees shift..

Nice circuit by the way, I like the low voltage current source..

You mean you ar getting a -ve gain in dB?

You need to check the operating regions of the transistors ( be sure they are all region 2 )

If this is OK, then I think you need a closed loop simulation ( perhaps using stability analysis "stb" in Cadence ). The class AB output stage is most probably unstable ( you cannot guarantee both N and P MOS are in saturation in quiescent mode, due to current mismatc between the two )

Hope this helps...

walker5678

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

when i check the DC operating point, found the out voltage was driven to close Vcc(4.4V), and some transistor in the circuit seems out of saturation region.
I think i should re-decide the W/L ratio of the transistors.

hi

plz try to increase biasing volatges.
if then problem persisits then it would b problem with soft u r using

It's the model related problem, i changed model files and got the resonable result.

1)The CKT is typical ClassAB.It need balance @M16,M17,M18,M19,M20,M21.

2)Use the RC is better than C only for compensation.(10pF is too large)

3)In the low voltage current source ,how to ensure the commond gate operation at satuation region ?

hi, fendy
Thanks for your advice.
For the low voltage current source, Vg(M7, M9)=Vth+Von, (where Von=Vgs-Vth), and Min. Vg(M6,M8)=Vgs6+Von7=Vth+Von6+Von7=Vth+2Von(cause W6/L6=W7/L7=W8/L8=W9/L9).
So the voltage drop on the resistor R0 is Von, set your Von ( for example, 0.25V) and calculate R0 by current. Then calculate W/L of M6,7,8,9. The voltage on the drain of M8 can be as low as 2Von, which is 0.5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back