Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why eda tools are ported to redhat 6.x only ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gab

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why all these eda vendors port
their tools on readhat 6.x,
it's something wrong with ver 7.x,
or it's faster ?

gab

redhat 7.2 and redhat 6.2 have different
*.so file.

thanks for reply,
Yes I know, but why a brand new first tool release on linux will choose 6.x
when 7.x was already available on the
release date ?,
Because all other tools are on 6.x ?

thanks
gab

In the commercial world maybe, but RedHat and all other Linux distributions are always improving. I don't understand why it should be this way.

I have read some time ago that RedHat 6.2 is much more "stable" than 7.x. Perhaps it contains fewer projects in-development. So EDA vendors have chosen it as a "reference" platform. This does not mean in anyway that EDA software can not run in RedHat 7.x. At least I have tested some of them (S*nops*s, D#buss*, Tr@nsEDA) and found no problem.

I believe more and more new versions of EDA put the RH7.x as their test platform.

IMO Red Hat Linux is a widely used distro and is constantly improving, but even the 7.2 release with all the latest upgrades has got a ways to go to be a top of the line stable EDA platform. Its generic technical abilities though are quite spectacular.

elecTr?

I think the EDA company always stick on the stable realease,
not only on linux but also on the commercial Un*x.

On 2002-03-03 01:44, transistor wrote:
I think the EDA company always stick on the stable realease,
not only on linux but also on the commercial Un*x.

If vendors always port their softwares to the newest OS version. I don't like to take the risk of upgrading OS to new version when I already had some software run smoothly on the old version.

Status
Not open for further replies.