Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why does CMOS technology dominate in VLSI manufacturing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Why does CMOS technology dominate in VLSI manufacturing?

I answer: Save power for its pull-up and pull-down archetecture.

Any other reason?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Best regards,
Davy

The following are some of the reasons that I can think of:

1) It is cheaper then Bipolar process
2) Better integration
3) The world top foundry are in CMOS process. Huge capacity to drive cost down.
4) Smaller in size.

davyzhu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
one thing might be low power consumption compared to bi-polar technology.. and ability to maintain accuracy when it comes to microvolts of operational potential ..
bipolar tech. was much popular when it comes to large voltage applications..robertness towards varying parameters.

with regards,
arun

davyzhu

The most important reason: It's cheap.

Area is another important reason.

absolutly yes.. cmos tech occupies less area and easier when it comes to implement universal gates..nand gates.. somethin which is much better than biploar technology.. that cud be all the more reason why..

with regards,
arun

Hi

1. Rail-To-Rail swing (GND-VCC)
2. High Noise Immunity
3. Low dynamic power (only in transitions)
4. Low static power (low leakage)
5. High Density due to low power (heat dissipation rate)
6. Well-documented and characterized technology
7. Good EDA Tools for design and validation of design in pre-layout and post layout

tnx

davyzhu

I agreee with most points of upstairs. But for point 2, I'd say CMOS is notorious in generating noise. Actually, leaving out of cost consideration, GaAs, BJT etc. perform far better than CMOS. In military application, you'll find much less CMOS products than in market.

davyzhu

Alles Gute said:
I agreee with most points of upstairs. But for point 2, I'd say CMOS is notorious in generating noise.

Hi

What I have pointed is not 'noise generation' but noise immunity'. I mean what range of input deviations due to noise may not affect the output and logic states.

tnx

less area
less cost
less power

CMOS has a full swing in voltage at the output.
It is a voltage controlled device that makes it operate with less leakage current.
The processing of cmos easier than bipolar devices.
even though speed of operation is less compared to the BJT's it is used more because of it occupying less are,consuming less power, many fab's use the cmos technology for fabrication.

PERFORMANCE OF CMOS will detoriate once the operating frequency increases(power consumption proportional to square of Frequency) that's we are using TTL for high freq.and CMOS for low freq.
But CMOS is having high noise margin than TTL
PACKAGE DENSITY is also touchstone for its performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back