Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we need a voltage regulator here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neyolight

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

Here is the circuit that I will refer to: LINK : Very Accurate LC Meter based on PIC16F628A

Ok my first question, Why do we need a voltage comparator (LM311) there? A voltage comparator compare the + and - voltages and output the difference??

What I want to do is, measure the inductance of the L and then send that value to a computer for further analysis.

Thanks

Ok my first question, Why do we need a voltage comparator (LM311) there? A voltage comparator compare the + and - voltages and output the difference??
Because PIC cannot read L or C directly, so there need to be something between to convert it to either time (pulse length measurement) or voltage that can easilly be read by a pic.

What I want to do is, measure the inductance of the L and then send that value to a computer for further analysis
Then you need a computer interface chip too (if the pic cannot be used to work directly to usb).

I'm not a PIC programmer, so for the last question I cannot provide any more help.

Because PIC cannot read L or C directly, so there need to be something between to convert it to either time (pulse length measurement) or voltage that can easilly be read by a pic.

Thats my question, why cant we simply measure the voltage drop across the inductor.

The volatge drop across inductor Vl= Xl * Il [ where Xl is the impedance of the inductor and Il is the current across it]

Xl = w * L [ w= frequency, L= inductance]

Now if we keep everything the same, change in inductance will change the voltage drop across it.

Hence, I believe measuring the voltage across the L is sufficient to measure L. :)

You are assuming the meter works on a different principle. Your calculation is measuring the center voltage of a potential divider with XL as the top element and R as the bottom one. It will work but it relies upon a constant frequency and voltage as the signal source and both would have to be selectable to cater for different L and C values. It can be done but it isn't paractical.

Most LCR meters work by applying a step change in voltage to one end of the component then measuring the time delay before the other end reaches a certain potential. In other words it produces a single time measurement which can then be mathematically converted back to the value. The comparator is there to sense when the measuring side has reached the necessary voltage. It's a much easier way to take measurements.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.