Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do gate use poly not metal in IC layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yousoo

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why do gate use in poly?

I`m studying [IC Layout Basics] p.134 - Wiring with poly

I have one question.

Why do gate use in poly? not metal?

Why do gate use in poly?

hi,
the gate of MOSFET use poly instead of METAL so that the MOS structure is self aligned. To explain what is self aligned structure assume that we use metal for making gate. For this we need to first do the source/drain diffusion and then the metal layer. Now on doing so the METAL gate may not be perfectly aligned to the source and drain diffusions and in worse case it can so happen that the metal gate may not be overlapping with either source/drain due to misalignment. This degrades the performance of MOS and I think it may not work as a MOS either. So inorder to workaround this problem what ppl used to do was to increase the gate length thereby ensuring that the gate will have overlap with source and drain diffusions. Now this method had an issue that the gate/source overlap capacitance was huge here affecting the design. Also very small channel lengths was not possible here.
If we use poly then what we do is we will first grow poly gates on the silicon oxide and on top of that we will do diffusion . This ensures that the poly is perfectly alligned with the source and drain diffusion and also shoter channel lengths with lesser gate/source overlap capacitance is made possible. For a more detailed explanation refer Razavi ...

hope this helps.
fred

Why do gate use in poly?

if u use metal as gate,u can't do selfaligned s,d implant,coz if u doing so,the s,d drivein will melt the metal gate(al gate),so u have to do the s,d implant and drivein(anneal) first then gate deposition.

Why do gate use in poly?

hi leohart,
Thanks for the explanation for why we cant use metal for self aligning. I was not sure about this.

rgds
fred

Re: Why do gate use in poly?

thank you, thank you all

hi!

polysilicon has a much higher melting point compared to metals and that will alllow annealing at higher temperature before metal deposition.

- al

Added after 3 minutes:

hi

and... annealing temperatures are usually higher than the metal meltign point so you can't anneal a micro circuit after metal has been deposited. Ü

- al

fredflinstone said:
For a more detailed explanation refer Razavi ...

fred

refer to which book? or paper?

Why do gate use in poly?

hi Julian,
I was saying to refer Razavi book page no 613 for info about self aligned MOS strcuture. Sorry for creating confusion.
cheers
fred

does any one have pdf of razavi?

Why do gate use in poly?

i think it is available somewhere on internet, maybe this forum.

try search it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back