Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why cannot S/H circuit use very small capacitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iexplorer

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I simulate a S/H circuit , use capacitor low as 100f, result shows that the error is really huge , but I cannot get the reason . If using full differential archi. and CMOS transfer gate, I can cancel the charge injection.the architecture is parasite insensitive architecture , and the opamp get enough gain and SR.

It may because of transistor's parasitic capacitor.
So you must use larger capacitor for S/H compare to this parasitic capacitors.

one reason can be that the S/H thermal noise voltage is about sqrt(kT/C), which means C cannot be very small, espacially for A/D converter which requires high accuracy

iexplorer said:
I simulate a S/H circuit , use capacitor low as 100f, result shows that the error is really huge , but I cannot get the reason . If using full differential archi. and CMOS transfer gate, I can cancel the charge injection.the architecture is parasite insensitive architecture , and the opamp get enough gain and SR.

The size of cap used in SH often determined by three factors.
1> Themal noise, KT/C
2> Matching requirement
3> Quantization noise.
For high resolutin ADC than 10bit,the requirement of cap for KT/C noise if often overshadowed by the requirements for matching.So the minimum size requierd to get a partitular resolution overshadowed the miminum size from KT/C noise point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.