Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why ballast kick voltage do not get bypassed through starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it's a photocopy from a library book I made during my study. You don't find much new books about vacuum electronics these days.

Why electrical ballasts comes to work with bad lamps (broken filament).
The high voltage makes things go just like refular tubes once on dont need filament.
Electric Ballast Transformer

A transformer is an electrical device that "transforms" a voltage into a higher or lower state. In other words as in the case of a fluorescent lighting ballast transformer, an input voltage of 120 volts alternating current (VAC) can covert that low voltage into a high voltage of 3,000 VAC. A neon ballast transformer may multiply that low voltage into 15,000 VAC for exciting the gases in the long neon tubes. The ballast transformer is enclosed in a metal case that holds not only the transformer itself but also an oil bath. The oil bath is used to help cool the copper wires that make up the windings of the transformer. The windings of the transformer dictate the amount of "step up" voltage that the transformer can manipulate.

Read more: How an Electric Ballast Works | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/how-does_4927509_how-electric-ballast-works.html#ixzz1va2XnyiU

Dear mahes
Hi
Are you referring to the switch mode ballasts ? if yes , some of them made from a Royer oscillator , and some other a class D oscillator .
They are based on a high frequency wave , which is good , to excite the lamp .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

By the way , a high voltage can be a good idea too ! because it can excite the gas inside the lamp too .

Are they sending continuous voltage spikes even after kicking the lamp. Isn't it loss of power.

Of course it isn't loss , because their current is limited , and the lamp can't get current , why ? because the current won't go through the filament , it just go through , the gas inside the lamp .
Best Luck
Goldsmith

Both of them are the same !! a first pin to one of the filaments , and the other out put pin to the other filament !

And i explain exactly what u mean ..."15,000 VAC for exciting the gases in the long neon tubes...."

Dear dselec
Hi my friend
Yes , i agree you told it at past . and in detail . but i think a main problem of each poster , here , is that , they don't want to read each post carefully . and it is a big problem . isn't it ?
Best Regards
Goldsmith

dselec said about windings and oil bath which are not present on modern ballasts.

Last edited:

Hello goldsmith
U cant be more right !!! there is a lot of hay in this field so finding the needle is difficult.
i mean how specific can i get for MAHES ? the hv makes the arc and tube lights on so no need for starter .
the oil and coil windings are for your future questions ... once u understand that the tube light with hv u will ask those questions later .

Hi again
I'm a bit confused about your words , can you simplify your meaning , please ?
Regards
Goldsmith

"hay in this field " ?
i mean there are some good explanations in here but its hard to find them in a lot of posts

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:38 ----------

"hay in this field " ?
i mean there are some good explanations in here but its hard to find them in a lot of posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back