Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

who may tell me what is the diffence between dsp and fpga ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvsvv

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
that is what is the advantages of fpga and
why I need fpga from XILINX OR ALTERA instead of DSP from TI ?

thanks!!

Re: who may tell me what is the diffence between dsp and fpg

I brief, DSPs are fixed while FPGAs are programmable and you can implement any desired functionality in them.

Hi,
Selecting an FPGAs/DSP for an appln depends on the algorithm complexity of ur appln..
DSPS normally has limited no. of computation blocks like multipliers and adders.
But Higher end FPGAs has a vast resouce interms of Xers and Adders.
(eg..a VirtexIIXC2V1000 FPGA has got 40 Xer blocks).
And so if ur design has many MAC operations, which has to run at a high speed,
then FPGAs can give u a good performance.
so much of resource r available on the web which explains the benchmarking of FPGAs and DSPs.

vvsvv

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think FPGA is more flexible than DSP.
I prefer to the Xilinx FPGA for its function is powful and its development tool is very strong and allsided.
enjoy it.

I agree with Jackwang,
it always better to go for FPGAs if u have knlodge of HDLs. But what if you dont know HDL. You should go for DSPs which can be made to work with writting just C routines & use cross compilers for DSP language.

Hi Vibhute,
Now with the availability of new Higher end tools and IPs for FPGAs, we don't need to know any HDL also. U can do a higher level system design using cores and primitive blocks.
System Generator(xilinx) is an example for that, it's a very powerful tool and optimization level for this tool is also not that bad.
So now any system level designer who just has a hang of matlab and simulink can implement his algorithm onto FPGA using Hardware Co-simulation

DSP are specialized to do mathematical or physical operations, like FFT, analog signal processing like FSK, QPSK, ... They contain multipliers and specialized hardware.

FPGA are more general. Newer FPGA start having hardware multiplier, so some basic DSP functions can be implemented.

FPGA are mostly used for digital appllications, while DSP are often more used for handling complex analog signals (radar, modems, clock synchronization, sound processing, ...).

DSP are usually much smaller than FPGA, but target specific applications that a much larger FPGA can't handle efficiently. However, you can't implement large digital cores in DSP.

You can use both DSP and FPGA in a project, doing powerfull mathematical operations in the DSP, while using the FPGA for complex digital design.

In one word:
FPGAs provide high speed logic, and DSPs provide flexibility of control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back