Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

who can provide me a perl program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyu

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when verifying a design , perl can be used to enhance your efficiency

It depend on youself:)
yes,perl script is very useful in design verification

how exactly can perl be used at the time of verification? one thing i know is it automatically simulates the desired testbench for a given test case, and can compare the output values, but this will be more relevant if people say, who already has done this.

eeeraghu said:
how exactly can perl be used at the time of verification? one thing i know is it automatically simulates the desired testbench for a given test case, and can compare the output values, but this will be more relevant if people say, who already has done this.

I was once verifying an 8051 VHDL core against the real 8051 hardware .. using some real programs that used to run on that real platform .. and I had to use Perl in order to convert the Intel Hex File to its '0' and '1' format that's suitable to be stored in the memory model .. then convert the '0' and '1' format back to its assembly code for visual debugging ..
I made a perl script that takes the '0' and '1' file ( to be stored in the memory ) and also takes a file that contains the complete ISA of the 8051 in a command like this :
perl myscript.pl binaryfile.dua isa.txt
and upon executing , the script generates an output file with the same ones and zeros ( but in hexadecimal format ) and adding to it a comment of the memory address ( in hexadecimal format as well ) and also the proper instruction from the ISA file corresponding to the '0' and '1' in the memory .. taking into consideration that some instructions are 1-byte instructions and some others are 2-byte and some are 3-bytes ..

Thanks Mr Omara, it was very useful information on giving one of the reason why perl is used in our field. But to my ambiguity can the perl invoke modelsim or else any other simulator or synthesizer and simulate accordingly to the instrictions given on the perl code? what i believe is it can be done but how?

Any way thanks for the help

Regards
Raghu

eeeraghu said:
Thanks Mr Omara, it was very useful information on giving one of the reason why perl is used in our field. But to my ambiguity can the perl invoke modelsim or else any other simulator or synthesizer and simulate accordingly to the instrictions given on the perl code? what i believe is it can be done but how?

For the modelsim case , there is an easier solution .. go for the (DO)file .. it's a script .. and can be run thru macro run in modelsim ..
u can put whatever steps to be executed in this script .. and just run the file as macro ..
if u need to learn the syntax , just try once to do manually what u want the script to do .. and trace what the command prompt writes .. u can also save the history of actions using save transcript .. either to a DO file or a TCL file ..

modelsim support tcl also,perl is usually uesd in back-end

it verification, perl is widely used
but in synthesis tcl is preferred.

Dear all,

Thanks for ur suggestions regarding this, and thanks Mr omara, we can use the DO file in modelsim, i.e we can run all the testbenches in oe go,
But what i actually wanted to do in perl is

There would be a different number of test case for different number of testbenches for a particular design,
so now if i want to simulate a design using a testbench and using a particular test case only, i can use an automated perl scripts which asks for what kind of test case to run at a particular period of time,
or else i do want to run all the test cases one after the other at one time, This can be done in perl.

Everything is fine i.e selecting the testcase and other thing but i am unable to run modelsim command.

Thanks once again

eeeraghu said:
Dear all,

Thanks for ur suggestions regarding this, and thanks Mr omara, we can use the DO file in modelsim, i.e we can run all the testbenches in oe go,
But what i actually wanted to do in perl is

There would be a different number of test case for different number of testbenches for a particular design,
so now if i want to simulate a design using a testbench and using a particular test case only, i can use an automated perl scripts which asks for what kind of test case to run at a particular period of time,
or else i do want to run all the test cases one after the other at one time, This can be done in perl.

Everything is fine i.e selecting the testcase and other thing but i am unable to run modelsim command.

Thanks once again

Maybe for the ModelSim case, it's advisable to go for TCL instead of Perl .. though I love perl myself ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back