Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which type of voltage stablizer has more efficiency......servo or relay type.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deexith Hasan

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which type of voltage stablizer has more efficiency......servo or relay type....... and what is the diff bet them

Without specs or details on implementation, I assume Relay provides for slow adjustments with tap change and lifetime limit on current load switches is unknown.

This is common for some high power (MVA) distribution or feeder transformers to have active load switch taps with relay control.

Servo implies stepper motor controlled variac which also has lifetime limit on wiper motion under load current but possibly has smoother voltage regulation. This would likely be more expensive due to variac $/VA

efficiency depends on load loss and regulator loss, so no idea without specs.

the common use of stabilizers at end-user is due to infrastructure cannot support load variation. So in North America and EU, these are rarely used.

stablizers 1KVA-2KVA load 230v 50hz.........which type of stablizer is suitable for double boost

SunnySkyguy ,I am retired now (14 years!), but its a fact that all analogue VHF and UHF TV transmitters have to use what we call AVRs ( Automatic Voltage Regulators) or it seems others call "stabilizers. This is because of the requirement to keep the HV +- .25% at a load of up to 250 kW. This is because the thermionic device has to be used over an extremely non linear part of its transfer characteristics so the video has to be pre-corrected for this non linearity.
Now the UK has gone digital, at least 400 AVRs have been dumped.
Do you still have analogue TV in the States?, if you do you will still find AVRs.
Frank

Good point. But I was considering prolific use of stabilizers in OP's locale which is notorious for unstable supply of power.

Yes to digital TV broadcast in Canada

- - - Updated - - -

stablizers 1KVA-2KVA load 230v 50hz.........which type of stablizer is suitable for double boost

Cost, efficiency and Reliability are all tradeoffs.

You only asked about efficiency which is only optimal at max load.

This may explain more options.

http://www.suvik.com/static-stabilizer.php

i gonna build voltage stablizers for my air conditioner not for an analogue TV

So an air con unit should handle +-10% on its nominal mains, BUT requires the ability to handle high inrush currents when the compressor starts. So the easiest way to go is a relay powered tap changer with a buck/boost transformer and a bit of logic and voltage detection to get it working. You don't want a servo type far too sophisticated for an air con unit.
Frank

I'm assuming that your air conditioner IS NOT of the "inverter"variety, which does not require an AVR.

In that instance, I'm with Chuckey.... And I would make emphasis that it must be a heavy duty relay, rated for motor use.
Normal relays will blow up under those circumstances.

Again power quality, cost , efficiency, EMI and reliability are all important tradeoffs. You may pick a few of these as priorities and the others are compromises.

The best choice is determined by the cost of a solution and costs of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.