Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which them is good! PIC or AVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi
i think it depends a lot on the kind of application that decides the choice,for example i have mostly worked on avr but i just used 12f675 pic when i needed a 8 pin controller with adc .12f675 is 8 pin pic with 10 bit adc.
regards

Hi,
They are the same however PICs are cheapper and can be found everywhere.

thuvu said:
1)AVR is less expensive than PIC
2)You can find very good assembler,compilers for free.
3)PIC is copied from AVR
4)Actually AVR has 32 registers and very useful instruction set
5)PIC IS FOR HOBBYISTS BUT AVR FOR PROFESSIONALS

well??....

are u joking ??!!
ur third and fifth sentence is completly wrong i think.

i am working with pic for the past 1 year , very satisfactory ,easy to learn , easily available , too good.i would recommend pic !

i think AVRs ar more powerful, but PICs are cheaper.

you have to decide what are you going to do and how to do.

Hi!
I agree with blueroomelectronics. If u want to compare PIC's with AVR then check the entire range of PIC microcontrollers.

Regards.

The Microchip PIC is the best,
1. price,
2. capability,
3. easy for use (but assembler is not OK, try PICBASIC or C)
best regards

When beginning to learn how to program micro controllers start with PIC, only 35 instructions to learn and a single working register, when your program goes bigger and you are not comfortable with banking and paging use C or switch to AVR.

...or switch to monsters like PIC24s. these are some pretty damn good uC with exceptional performance (up to 40MIPS in PIC24H series) - quite powerfull assembler (ALU, ~80 instructions in many variants, so total is like 200 [; ), no stupid banking, whole lot of memory (up to 256k program and 8k RAM). if that't not enough than it means you need to switch to dsPIC3x (esp. dsPIC33) which are completely pin compatible and have even more power with special DSP instructions (something like additional 10 or so), up to 32k RAM and so on and so on. quite powerfull stuff. also there are cheaper versions - PIC24F which start from 16MIPS as far as i remember...

the only problem is the packages, most of them being SMDs, and those best dsPICs and PIC24H are quite extreme QFP100/14mm, there are also some dsPIC30 (3011, 4011, 4013) which come in DIP-40.

0x41 0x56 0x45!!

thuvu said:
A: WRONG.
A: MUTUAL.
3)PIC is copied from AVR
A: So WRONG that its not even funny. Man you are an idiot.
A: Go get a clue you dumb idiot.
A: WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Lack hass. (L = J and H = blank)

Its been a while but this does not negate the fact that you are completely incorrect. Hopefully from then to now you learned to get a clue.

The best one is the one you know better

:wink:

Consider also free source code you can find to start your application.
For AVR, I don't know, but for Microchip, you can find a lot of great source code, like TCP/IP stack (Microchip site) and many others (color display...).
I would also say : if possible, forget PIC16 and PIC18, go directly to PIC24 and PIC32 (similar prices, if you don't need DIP), and with C rather than with assembler.
And for very small design, PIC10 can be a good choice (assembler advised this time)!
But AVR will also be good, the best chip without good code and good programmer will be useless.
AVR, Microchip..., it's not the most important.

Hi,
I use PICs mostly but recently learning ATmega. I'd say these are much better than 16F and 18F and slightly less than 24F (Cmon man, 24F is 16bit). The rest, no point comparing.
After having a look at the AVRs, I'd say the AVR devices are way better than the 8-bit PIC devices.

Tahmid said:
Hi,
I use PICs mostly but recently learning ATmega. I'd say these are much better than 16F and 18F and slightly less than 24F (Cmon man, 24F is 16bit). The rest, no point comparing.
After having a look at the AVRs, I'd say the AVR devices are way better than the 8-bit PIC devices.

It is not possible to compare AVR with wide range of PIC microcontrollers(PIC18,24,dsPIC30,PIC32,dsPIC33).

"And Microchip is the number 1 8bit microcontroller manufac. company."

thuvu said:
3)PIC is copied from AVR

Hello
How you possibly can say that?? Microchip can be used in any application as AVR, lot of professional programmers using Microchip not only is cheaper but have different ability compare to AVR not talking about the easy programming!
I’m not saying is the best but can do all
Regards

Added after 4 minutes:

miss_monica said:

Ha ha ha LOL
Probably you never try used the MICROCHIP and you stack with AVR

Status
Not open for further replies.