Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Which terminal of transformer to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADGAN

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! Recently I purchased a 12V, 300mA transformer which has three terminals (Black, yellow, Black) for its output. I have used transformers which has 2 terminals. I like to know what these terminals represents and which terminals to use when using it to obtain 12V DC.

Last edited:

If there is a low resistance between the black terminals and the yellow one, it is a centre tapped transformer, you will have to put mains on its primary to see if its a 6-0-6 =12V with a bridge rectifier across the black terminals. Or its a 12-0-12, which will give you 12 V with two diodes on black terminals with the output on the common diode connection and the yellow terminal.
Frank

Thank you! There is a label on the transformer and it states that 12Vx2. How do I connect this to a bridge rectifier?

If you insist on using a bridge rectifier, connect the black terminals to the AC input terminals of the bridge, use the + terminal as your + output use the yellow terminal as the - output. You are only using 1/2 of the bridge.
Frank

Reactions: ADGAN

ADGAN

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much. Is it possible to use any of the black terminals?

Is it possible to use any of the black terminals?
That's a different solution. The two-diode fullwave rectifier suggested by chuckey will be slightly better in two regards
- symmetrical loading of transformer windings
- less rectifier voltage drop and power dissipation

I'm using 4 diodes, I have already made the PCB. What should I do? This is the power supply that I'm using.

12v-5v-power-_supply.jpg

Is it correct if I connect any black wire to point A and yellow wire to point B?

Yes, it's definitely possible. The two winding halves have slightly different DC resistance, use the lower resistance winding.

Thank you very much

I tried it with use of a 2200uF and its working. But I can hear a very low noise from the transformer (Kind of a humming). Is it some kind of fault or is it usual to hear it?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.