Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which software should i use for logic circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdren

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best logic circuit software

Hi guys,

I'm trying to design some logic circuits (with logic ports (AND,OR,NOT,XOR) , flip-flops , etc. )
I recently designed a circuit to do some basic calculations , the design had about more than hundred logic ports and flip-flops and for the design i used NI Multisim 10 but my problem is that after adding more than a hundred of elements the simulation gets really really sluggish on a Core2Duo 2.2 Ghz with 2 Gb Ram. I'm planning to design a DES encryption circuit and that will have a lot more than a hundred elements.

I think the reason why multisim is sluggish because of the very precise calculation s of current flow and voltage , in my simulations "very precise" simulations of current are not nessesary.

So could you recommend me a software with that i could do such large simulations of logic circuits without getting very slow?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure of large elements and delays but Proteus is best for this sort of work.

Design of 4-bit Computer is easily done with this.

Best of luck!

asdren

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
May I ask, what's the intended target for your logic design? A functional simulation can be performed without selecting a particular hardware platform, but at some point, you may be interested on a timing analysis, considering the behaviour of real logic hardware.

Another question is regarding the used method of logic description. You seem to use a kind of structural description with basic logic elements.

If you intend to ever use programmable logic devices to realize your design, you should consider one of the free design tools provided by major manufacturers (e.g. &#65ltera, Xilinx, Lattice). They would offer you different design entry methods and a functional and timing simulation option as well.

u've seen electronics workbench

FvM said:
May I ask, what's the intended target for your logic design? A functional simulation can be performed without selecting a particular hardware platform, but at some point, you may be interested on a timing analysis, considering the behaviour of real logic hardware.

Another question is regarding the used method of logic description. You seem to use a kind of structural description with basic logic elements.

If you intend to ever use programmable logic devices to realize your design, you should consider one of the free design tools provided by major manufacturers (e.g. Altera, Xilinx, Lattice). They would offer you different design entry methods and a functional and timing simulation option as well.

My main target is a functional simulation without a particluar hardware platform.

asdren said:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to design some logic circuits (with logic ports (AND,OR,NOT,XOR) , flip-flops , etc. )
I recently designed a circuit to do some basic calculations , the design had about more than hundred logic ports and flip-flops and for the design i used NI Multisim 10 but my problem is that after adding more than a hundred of elements the simulation gets really really sluggish on a Core2Duo 2.2 Ghz with 2 Gb Ram. I'm planning to design a DES encryption circuit and that will have a lot more than a hundred elements.

I think the reason why multisim is sluggish because of the very precise calculation s of current flow and voltage , in my simulations "very precise" simulations of current are not nessesary.

So could you recommend me a software with that i could do such large simulations of logic circuits without getting very slow?

Thanks in advance
modelsim is the best choice.
but,frist you should konw hdl such as verilog or vhdl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back