Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which software is best suited for designing a corrugated horn antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

horzcat

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which software is best suited for the design a corrugated horn antenna (apart form HFSS and CST)?

corrugated horn in cst

See the following post...

horzcat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
corrugated horn

cst
HFSS need more memory

I suggest HFSS...more accurate and faster. If more memory, who cares...use symmetry planes and mixed order tets to reduce problem size. you can also use their new FEM/MoM hybrid solver in which you have the same accuracy with significantly less resource consumption.

have fun :)

I suggest you try Champ by Ticra or

Axial by Smtconsultancies

These software packages use a very fast method for the analysis of rotationally symmetric antennas including corrugated horns.

It does depend on size. Larger antenna you have - better to use MoM codes.

Check this one out - EMCoS

CHAMP by TICRA (Mode Matching + MoM)
SRSR4D by FRANCE TELECOM (MoM)
These are the best that I used.
They can be used only for rotationally symmetric horn but are fast and accurate.
CHAMP has got an easy GUI. SRSR4D is harder and works only on Linux but permits to simulate dielectric material as well.

Valerio

Last edited:

Valerio,

Do you have a website or contact information for SRSR4D.

CHAMP by TICRA (Mode Matching + MoM)
SRSR4D by FRANCE TELECOM (MoM)
These are the best that I used.
They can be used only for rotationally symmetric horn but are fast and accurate.
CHAMP has got an easy GUI. SRSR4D is harder and works only on Linux but permits to simulate dielectric material as well.

Valerio

I suggest HFSS...more accurate and faster. If more memory, who cares...use symmetry planes and mixed order tets to reduce problem size. you can also use their new FEM/MoM hybrid solver in which you have the same accuracy with significantly less resource consumption.

have fun :)

What makes you believe HFSS is more accurate than CST for this particular antenna? Or is it a general belief that HFSS is better than CST?

I'm particularly keen to find out what is the best software for horn antennas in general.

Does anyone have any files for HFSS or CST which have horn antennas in them they would be willing to share?

I know the HFSS antenna design kit can design horns, but I've often felt that the design kit uses some rather dubious techniques. For example, to create a helical for 2.45 GHz, it uses tubing with a diameter of 6.9 mm. It's pretty unlikely anyone would want to use such a large diameter, but Ansys do it to match the antenna to 50 Ohms. I think there are more intelligent ways of matching the antenna to 50 Ohms. I've noticed similar issues with other antennas in the HFSS antenna design kit.

I guess the kit is free, so one can't complain too much.

Deborah.

In addition to this suggestion, the Iterative solver in HFSS, when combined with the Mixed Order elements should be able to solve a corrugated horn very easily. In addition, you can add expressions, such as Gain, to control the convergence of the mesh in addition to the standard DeltaS criterion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back