Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which release version of linux have more future in EDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

husteven

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
$releasever env linux

As the Redhat no longer provide the personal version of LINUX,
Which one have more future, debian,mandrake,suse or others? :?:

As the Redhat no longer provide the personal version of LINUX

you are right, but the "personal" edition of Red Hat now is mantained by Fedora....

look the article:
Article at slashdot

bye.

As far as I understand, all the different flavors of linux use the same kernel, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Having said that, big EDA vendors (Synopsys, Cadence, etc.) still use redhat 7.3 as the reference linux OS for their product release.

I have never used debian or suse, but I heard that they are for hackers or experienced users. I've used both redhat and mandrake, and I think mandrake 9 is much much better than redhat 9. Mandrake not only has better support for various devices (e.g. it recognized my scanner and TV card without any trouble, whereas redhat failed), but also runs faster. After I upgraded my system from redhat 8.0 to 9.0, it became significantly slower. I noticed that there were so many junk services running in the background (e.g. I never use or chose to install Japanese but a Japanese module "kana" is running). Then my brother suggested I switch to mandrake. The result is a much faster system. I would recommend every redhat user do the same.

I'm completely agree!! :)
OK! I can describe more: I have run these tools successfully under mandrak 9.1:
1- Xilinx ISE 6.1 Linux edt.
2- Synplify Amplify and Synplify Pro
3- Mentor HDS 2003.01
4- Cadence LDV 5.0
5- Synopsys DC, DA, PT, and ( unfortunately PSYN had problem showing menus )
6- Cadence IC
7- Timing Designer
8- Synopsys CoCentric 2002.05
9- Specman 4.1
10 - ... OK! What you want more?
I think ( as I have said one million times before ) if there is any special EDA tool, which has problem running under mandrake, then we should work on it, until we can understand what changes should be made in order for the program to work correctly.
I think every program can be run successfully under both of RH and Mandrake, and if you have a good knowledge of linux, you will be always able to make the necessary changes yourself, because .... It is Linux!

redhat 7.3
Mentor calibre 2003.2_15
hyperplot 5.0
Laker 30v7
Debussy
Avant Astro
and more

Has anyone tested RedHat Enterprise?

according to the redhat website redhat enterprise WS is considered for CAD/CAM and is only 179USD!
https://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/comparison/

Though somebody think it is bad, I think it is better to pay a little to have a good and stable OS rather than obtaining something free( like redhat 7.2) with a lot of bugs which requires a lot of bug fix and update!
also fedora is the largest linux project for suitable for those want to contribute to developing distros!
again according to the redhat version 3.0 is backwards compatible with version 2.1, i.e. CAD tools can work on it ( though I have not tested it!).

BEST!

mami_hacky said:
I'm completely agree!! :)
OK! I can describe more: I have run these tools successfully under mandrak 9.1:
1- Xilinx ISE 6.1 Linux edt.
2- Synplify Amplify and Synplify Pro
3- Mentor HDS 2003.01
4- Cadence LDV 5.0
5- Synopsys DC, DA, PT, and ( unfortunately PSYN had problem showing menus )
6- Cadence IC
7- Timing Designer
8- Synopsys CoCentric 2002.05
9- Specman 4.1

I'm using mandrake 9.1 and it's very good and all of the above programs and many others will be able to run on it.
:wink: :lol:

I have been able to get the 15.1 version of Allegro/Specctra to work under Fedora (basically just setting the correct environment variables), but I haven't been able to get the Xilinx ISE 6.1 to work. Can anyone tell how to get it to install on Fedora (probably the same as RH9)

If you look at the platform support from the big EDA vendor. RH7.3 is the most common

I don’t have any serious problem with Synopsys DESIGNER v2003.6 (DC, DV) and Cadence IC5032 under Mandrake 10.

RH 7 is dead IMO, its slow, cumbersome and buggy and needs to be left.
The standard is Redhat, as RH9 is going to be discontinued then most likely it will be the WS versions (ES and AS for larger system in simulations) that will be the next paltform. Either version 2.1 or 3.0, they are both stable and still run the 2.4 kernal allthough 3.0 has numerous features borrowed from the 2.6 kernal as to maintain stability and will be the best candidate as its upto date, stable and fast and also $180 for the 32bit x86 version.

Anyone use slackware linux9.1?

I have installed successfully synopsys tools , cadence LDV , debussy under this platform.

These tools run smoothy .

Please check the kernel version. No matter how the Linux software packaged, EDA tools depend on the kernel and related library.

Suse 9.0 pro is very stable platform for most of EDA tools.

if there are company provide 64bits linux? I think 64bit is the better than 32bit.

armer said:
if there are company provide 64bits linux? I think 64bit is the better than 32bit.

of course 64bit is better than 32bit, it is gaining popularity now.

Now I think Fedora Core 1 may be better. In the future, trace the combination of 64bit RH(Fedora) version and AMD's 64bit CPU.

Now I found sun java desktop system is very compatible with most EDAtools.

I have installed and run without problem Cadence IC5.x, DC, SOC, ... on FEDORA2 without major issues. But tigger is right, it comes with many unuseful stuff, while useful packages need later installation!

Status
Not open for further replies.