Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which programming is suitable to use? (Urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaiZai

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
daq realtime_priority_class

I have a project which is doing graphic user interface(GUI). I had bought a device (can refer to www.devasys.com - USBI2C/IO interface board) as data acquisition hardware between hardware and PC(GUI). At now, I want to do a programming as GUI to capture the signal within microsecond . As I know, visual basic (vb) programming is not really fast enough in this case, do you have a idea to know which programming is appropriate to use? How about C++ and C programming? Appriciate your reply and thank you very much...:)

i think assembly is much better in term of response time

Hello

Use Borland C++ builder it's easy RAD{Rapid Application Development} enviroment for PC

And if you have a basic knowledge in C or C++ you can use it

All the best

Bobi

I suggest you to use c/c++ for your project

I will recommend using assembly language but if it becomes too difficult use C/C++ which can also interface with devices

To build GUI using C++, there are several GUI libraries around. Example like QT, Wxworks, FOX etc. Wxworks and FOX are open source but QT is only free for non-commercial use. I suggest you try QT if it is non-commercial. QT has a company behind so the documentation is better. It also has a GUI Designer where you drag and drop the GUI objects and have it auto generate the C++ class for you. There's also good C++ framework that supports threading, socket etc. Make your life easier.

No matter what GUI you use, do the data acquisition in a separate thread with a priority larger than normal (REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS would probably be a good choice). Do NOT sample the data in the same thread, you won't stand a chance. Even so, the chances to sample the signal at 1MHz directly from Windows (in user mode, without any special drivers) without loosing samples are probably not that high. Maybe the external board drivers can help you with that, if they provide some high speed buffers or something similar.

borland c++ builder is the best, i tested it many times before in data aqu. projects

Hi Shafee001
Borland more concern at Delphi and C++ Builder is not developed more, is it true??, because in my country delphi more famous than C++ Builder.

SIS

I will recommend using C

visit to:
www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm

The TIOBE Programming Community index gives an indication of the popularity of programming languages.The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, MSN, and Yahoo! are used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TPC index is not about the best programming language or the language in which most lines of code have been written.

The index can be used to check whether your programming skills are still up to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language should be adopted when starting to build a new software system.

enjoy

the best in the cases of hardaware interfacing is to use C/C++ applications beacuse their assambly structure functions the hardware resources in the best and fastest manner.

since you are working with the device almost directly, I mean only separated by the driver layer with the real hardware, I suggest to use C/C++. The compiler of choice is Visual C++ if you are working in windows environment and GCC if you are working in linux. The reason is very simple, both of this operating system "exports" their driver functionality using C based interface. So, doing thing this way, you will have no overhead due to additional layer for the data transfer between the hardware and your application. As for the GUI display, you use DirectDraw in windows for utmost performance. DirectDraw interface is a COM (Component Object Model) interface, so, it doesn't matter which language you are using, be it Visual Basic, Visual C++ or others, as long as it supports COM interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back