Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which port is better for interfacing LCD controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grv2k4

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help needed

i am designing an LCD controller as a project, and wanted to know whether parallel port is better for interfacing (with an Intel 89C51) , or is serial port better?[/b]

Re: help needed

Is not very clear .what you need !.. Do you want to USE a PC to drive a LCD?
But if is a 8051 with AN LCD .. the easiest way is to buy a LCD with a serial interface and use the 8051 UART to send data ..Is very simple
Check the serials LCD at www.sparkfun.com

help needed

Serial or Parallel ??? , as eltonjohn said is the PC is involved in this project or not.
In both cases I think that using serial port for communication is the best choise, its easier and the 8051 had a build in UART ...

Sorry i wasn't so clear. Actually, i'm a newbie to this field.
Actually, i'm planning of using the PC only as a medium to transfer the messsage to the
microcontroller, which will store the messsge into a RAM or a buffer , and will then send characters to the LCD. Thus, the LCD serves only as a display (o/p)., whilethe PC is only used for sending messages.(i/p) . please comment on my idea, and if there's anything silly with it or sth., do let me know.

Well, then why do you think a microcontroller is required in the first place?

Because it is just a project, you can connect microcontroller (RS-232 driver IC will be required) to PC via serial port (easy way of sendig characters using free software such as Hyperterminal) and then using any pins of your microcontrollers create second "software" serial port to control the LCD and/or RAM (maybe I2C serial bus?). By doing this you will learn a lot...

Obviously you can take other advices and control LCD from PC directly, however, it will not be your PROJECT any more...

why are u using microcontroller parallel port in enough to controll Lcd

there is project done by some thing else goto www.codeproject.com

serach for parallel port or lcd u would find three ur requirement.

Added after 1 hours 53 minutes:

here is the link

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back