Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which PIC can I debug with PIC Kit 2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogie25

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pickit 2 development board

HI

I need help

I bought the pic kit 2 debbug express and i have 4 kindes of PIC s
the 16F877 and 887
I plan to write with C but some one told me that it would be impossible to debbug because i need a special compiler for my spesific pic.

do you know something about the issue? what do i need to programme beside the pic kit 2 debbug express it comes with MPLAB IDE.

thanks

pickit 2 troubleshoot

PICKIT2 is a limited version debugger. It does not support all the MCUs but quite a few from the x14 family. Whatever compiler(or plain asm) you use you need to set it up within MPLAB and configure the debugging tool as PICKIT2. It should be visible in the menu while plugged into the USB. BTW your PICKIT2 DE does come with a 16F mini development board. Have fun.

Regards

16f887 portb

Hi,
I am using the 16f877 with pickit2, but works OK if you do not use pull-ups on portB.

If you have compiler for 16f887, please let me know what you are using.Like to like that too.
Thx
ZS1BFE

pic kit 2 help

With version 8.0 of MPLAB the PICkit 2 programs and debugs pretty much everything the ICD2 does.

pickit 2 what do i need

So far, the PICkit2 has a good capability on Programming most of the PICs with FLash memory, Microchip is working to improve the debugging capabilities. New debugging support will be added to the next MPLAB release.

THe MPLAB V8.00 released a while ago has a good beta support on debugging PIC16Fs and PIC18Fs.

Both ICD2 and PICkit2 are great tools. :)

Re: pic kit 2 help

Hi,
Nice to see so many replies.I have similar problem.I can not program the HEX files generated by Pic C compiler to 16f877 , using PicKit2 if I enable pull-ups on PortB.
Can anybody advise me on any other free C compilers......
I use Pic C Lite.
THX
Cheers
erasm@netactive.co.za
Cape Town S.A.

Re: pic kit 2 help

ZS1BFE said:
Hi,
Nice to see so many replies.I have similar problem.I can not program the HEX files generated by Pic C compiler to 16f877 , using PicKit2 if I enable pull-ups on PortB.
Can anybody advise me on any other free C compilers......
I use Pic C Lite.
THX
Cheers
erasm(at)netactive.co.za
Cape Town S.A.
Could you check the configuration bits?
Please make sure all bits are set up correctly either in the software or in the programming tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.