Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which PCB tool to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
prices pulsonix

if you want to work with connection to component database you should consider PADS
it can work with many databases together (ORCAD CIS can work with only one database!)
also PADS has VERY GOOD interactiv routing FIRE
you can look for details here: https://www.mentor.com/pads/demos/
an

orcad rubbish

I'm using Protel, but are not sastify with its menu system & GUI.

orcad for beginner

You want a good package for everyday use? I bought a package called Cadpack from matrixmultimedia. Its cheap and fine for what I use it for. Has schematic capture and autorouting. It exports to dxf and a few other file formats. I have produced many good layouts with it. They have what they call a student version. This is actually the Lite version of the Proteus software. The student/home version is selling for £39.00. Check out the following link:

http://www.matrixmultimedia.com/product.php?Prod=CADPACK

eagle+reannotation

PADS2004 is your choice

which pcb layout to choose

pads2004 is for medium level design not for the higher end which have complex definition in the nets.

cadstar pros and cons

Mentor WG200X is so good to accomplish your work!

cadpak spice

Mentor PowerPcb is also a good choice.

databook dxdesigner

i totally agree with Bjxxh, mentor Power PCB is quiet good. i n my designer did a few projects with this software n its flexible.
Take time to learn the details.

kicad atium

I think protel still is a good choice for simple design.If disign is more complex, cadence's allegro is better.But cadence's schematic tool - concept is bad.I think OrCAD schematic tool is best for sch.And OrCAD schematic can use allegro route,too.

dxdesigner 2007.8

I think orcad layout with specctra is easy to use,allegro 15.2 has many new feature,it worth to learn for furture complex use.

allegro pcb editor sucks

If you should startup using OrCAD Capture and OrCAD layout, you will eventually find that OrCAD Layout starts loosing the integrity once the database approaches 1.5 MByte. Microvias starts to disappear, DRC check fail to report true errors like copper continuity. The software has "hickups", and resets and reopens in a strange way.

But OrCAD Capture can output netlists in a variety of formats, including Allegro.

This means that you can drop OrCAD Layout once you reach the end of that tool and move over to Allegro for Layout.

The current version of Allegro; 15.2 is not that easy to learn. The creation of Gerber setups is far from intuitive, but the tool is rock solid when it comes to DRC and database integrity. True, Mentor WG is also a nice tool, but the advantage with OrCAD Capture and Allegro is that the databases is connected only by the netlist. Thus, Once a netlist and a board is created and its "Logic" has been imported and the footprint fetched, the .BRD file itself contains the netlist, and the footprints. This database can be played with in a number of ways. Very convenient if you are working for a service bureau.

Mentor WG on the other hand has amuch more complex project tree with lots of dependencies. Fool with the files, and you may loose the forward and backward connectivity.

8)

Davorin is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,Hi.

medap said:
Freeware, for small home projects.No limited.Program is in French but all is logical and easy.

I assume you didn't read the original question:

boards up to 14 layers with high speeds
fine pitch BGA components (e.g. FPGAs)
readily available libraries
signal integrity simulation might become an issue soon

Next time don't post anything which doesn't answer original question!!!

Although there are some hoops you need to jump through for back annotation and part attributes, I think the best combo is using PowerPCB with Orcad Schematic for the front end.

Not for very complex design,pads is a good tool.I use OrCAD Capture and pads for my design.This is a good combination.

Yes Tennad,
Even i used the same, Capture is a very flexile tool for schmatic drawing , and pads is good in its placement and design rules .
routing i prefer to do in blazerouter or specctra.
specctra is good for high speed related design.

Binu g

I am a total Newbie in PCB layout , and have been reading tis thread in hope of a hint to a good PCB system.

I have tried Eagle with 5 ttl circuits , but would like something that can suggest the placement of the components on the board.

I know i ought to be able to place them my selve , before using an autorouter.

But for my moderate use single/doublesided layouts of small microprocessor or CPLD/FPGA boards , I was hoping that there was an ansver here.

It seems like :On the Best PCB Layout system ... "The ansver still is 42".

But maybe i can get a hint for a good component placer if such a thing exist.

There must be some eval versions that has this feature.

TIA

/bingo

Indeed the answer is "42" since most people favour the tools they are used to.

If you know that what you are about to do is a "one night stand", then choose the least expenceive system you can find, as long as the system can handle (in your case) micro BGA's/HDI board design. You need not to worry about scalability of the tool.

If you think that what you are about to do is the first in a series of complex projects, and you believe that your business will grow, you should address the scalability. Believe me: Realizing that you have outgrown a layout system on a late stage of a development process costs $$$$$.

You will have to maintain an existing installation. perhaps having to pay maintenance fees if the licenses are not perpetual. In the end, you may have to have one computer with an outdated O/S just because you have designs that needs to be maintained.

Library creation and maintenance is another issue. We have to constantly check with our board manufacturers for their recommended footprint dimensions, since the density and manufacturability varies with our products. We rarely use supplied footprints since the photoplot methodes varies between USA and Europe. We may use them for input, but we always modify them. You start with the symbols and footprints you need and add to your library as you go along. So do not choose your system based upon available libraries.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Bingo600 said:
I am a total Newbie in PCB layout , and have been reading tis thread in hope of a hint to a good PCB system.
I have tried both OrCAD and Protel 2004.
I would reccomend Protel for a newbie, it's a full package with schematic capture, simulator, autorouter and PCD layout and 3D animation of your PCB design.
There's a great beginners turtorial as a pdf file. This pdf goes through all the steps of a desing process. It's a little example PCB and schematic you have to desing, simulate and layout. This turtorial will get your started in no time and learn the basics of all the functions aand steps in a design.

I have not made any PCB's with the OrCAD suite, but only used it for schematic capture and simulation in the integrated PSpice.
I think OrCAD's simulator is better than Protel's.
But I have heard many say that it's harder getting started with PCB design in the OrCAD suite than with Protel.
Protel runs quite slow if you have a very old and slow PC.

But you can order free trial CD's from both OrCAD and Protel so you can try it out for yourself.

Cadence/Allegro is good for high-speed circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back