Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which PCB tool is better for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimitri

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Wich PCB Tool is better?

Hi everyone, I would like to have your opinion about wich PCB tool is better with this baseline:

Up to 2 layer boards, up to 400 componentes, 80% manual routing, good footprints library and editor, good BOM Manager for futher developments, good schematic presentation.

Thanks in advanced.

i used powerpcb/pads2003

Re: Wich PCB Tool is better?

Use Eagle4.11 if you want to route manualy and 2 layers
www.cadsoft.de

I'm using eagle 4.11 but also I'm seraching for good pcb tool like used by elektor magazine
I want develop just one side pcb and i can't find a good tool for it. somenone have sugestions?

Aron

Elektor uses (used to use?) Ultiboard. That's what I have been using too, for at least 10 years.

Actually, it's stability is quesionable and usability isn't perhaps the greatest, but I have it in my fingers and I guess I'll stick with it until there is no alternative :)

Bert

I have used eagle for some time, have not updated to the latest version tho but the erlier I think is great to start with, easy to learn, and a fre version to start with.

One great thing with the software is that there are several active newsgroups about it on cadsofts homepage. Have been able to solve many problems by reading them.

Why would it not work for single layer PCBs?

re Me

PCB for Linux. It is good and it if FREE.

I think that a goob PCB Tool is Puls*nix :
You can find it easy to use with all you need to design 2 layer board, e.g. push component with traces "follow the component", push trace&via (with some little issues however, it is still too new!!! ) and very stable.
Or you can try Ultib*ard but I don't see the new version (7).
Their web page promise many new features like push trace&component,
increased stability (I hope!!), some signal Integrity rules ecc..

mkbs :D

What do you think about Protel DXP??

Dimitri, PA*DS 20*03 (M*en*tor Gra*phi*cs)
is very useful for your need !

And very good for bom of parts.
Best Skywalker.

**broken link removed**

Same questions, same old reply.

Is there any real reason to have the same questions and samw answers in different threads?

For the end user to make a comparison they should really arrange trials for the different softwares and make the same schematic and PCB project in each one.

There is also no mention of the project being commerical or hobby/research. hobby/research projects would use a different tool, for same technology in PCB, than a commercial one, as the end goals, documentation requirements, team collaboration and DFM/DFT features would be different.

the cost difference between the tools can also be very big. Some S/W packages that start costing less than €500 can do the job, so why spend €6,000 for a well enebaled Pads2003 suite to do same job.

Thanks for your comments guys !

I'm bengineer in PCB Software, but I have to design a comercial PCB, single or double layer, with good BOM managment for futher designs. Less than 400 components.

There are prior works in Zuken CR-5000/PWS that I want to re-use it (footprints reason).

But based on your experience, I would like to know your opinion. I don't have to much time for experimetation, that's why I'm asking for an answer that can fit to my needs.

Thanks

I uesed Cadence PCB v10.0
I think it's the most powerful tool
But too expansive

I used the Power PCB,this package have both the schematic capture and pcb layout tool also the automatic routing. This autoroute is work very well.
However , u may need time to understand how to use it cause it's has many advance feature.

Micro Jack

dimitri,

Most sofware perform the same functions as you want. For part time use I would avoid Cadence, Mentor, Pads and Zuken (Cadstar). The different softwares all have slightly different names and ways of some functions way of working. Unless you invest time in training (VERY EXPENSIVE) you will take to long to get up to speed on your workflow.

The chances you will be able to re-use ANY files from Zuken in another pakcage is pretty slim.

If you wanted a true recommendation you can do a lot worse than EWB MultiSim and Ultiboard or Protel. Not all doing, but easy to learn.

Sorry about reating what was already said.

I use EasyPCB of w*w.numberone.com and no problems

I use Pa@ntheon from intercept.
I'v made a few realy nice designes with this tool!

//BoNe

For the simple board, I'd like to use Power PCB. It's easy to use and faster.

I also would prefer powerpcb version 5 for design and for schematic power logic .They both are very user friendly

according to me use power pcb for decal or footprint creation and link it to the design, setup layer stackup ,rules and post processing design(mean after routing) but try to do routing in spectra set all routing rules here and back to power pcb to gerber and other o/p file.

if you have money to buy these mentor and cadence tool

this will just speed up your design process if u know it

nikhil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back