Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which PCB designer program to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i think that each software has advantages and disadvantages. the most powerfull software for designing complex board is P*rotel DXP 2004. i am a PCB designer and i use P*rotel in conjuction with the hardware produced by BUNGARD, checkout the site http://www.bungard.com/home.htm. The next software is ORCAD, it's easy to use

bamdad said:
I pesonally think that SPECCTRA is the ultimate autorouter on this planet
Topological router TopoR is better than Specctra. For instance, Specctra is hard to use, also it makes too many via.

If you are choosing to buy long term usage license, the PADS
(PowerLogic, PowerPCB) seem to the best choice. I have an
experience with PCAD and PADS (never with both simulaneously),
but will prefere PADS. The only (my opinion) where PCAD is
best, it is a cuurent menu to choose between set of your grids.
All other features in PADS I like more.
Varuzhan

C@dence @llegro is the best

all functions is included

orcad is the best tool to use.

I used protel 1.0 , protel 1.5 , protel 99 , protel DXP and PCAD.
I think Protel DXP is a very powerful tool for PCB and circuit design . it has a compatible spice engine for circuit simlation.
I didnt like PCAD because it lacks libraries , you have to define the foot print for each component you use , and this will consume alot of your development time.
I have a friend who worked as a pcb designer , he told me that mentor PADS/Expenditure are more powerful and professional than Protel . I havent tried it but I think he was very honest in his judgement.
I have seen a discussion on this site in which a comparison was held between Cadstar and Protel. In this discussion someone said, "dont compare a man and a kid, protel is a kid !!!". For myself, I have never tried Cadstar , but you should consider it in your selection process , since you havent learnt any of these tools yet
what do you think ?

P.S. I dont know why " P R O T E L " is written like protel on this site !

Power PCB from Mentor Graphic is best choice !

I think orcad is a good program to make PCB

I used to use Ultiboard - now use Protel. Very good.

If you are looking for a good tool and free, you must use Cadsoft EAGLE. They have a freeware and limitated version of they software.
If you have no problems in using a cracked software, I suggest to you the Altium's tool, Protel. It's a very good tool, very completly and you have a lot of information on how to ude it in the internet.

Check out:

**broken link removed**
for EAGLE

and

http://www.altium.com
for Protel (you must replace @ with a)

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

I use PADS and i really satisfied with it although protel has some better points in visualiation in schematics...

I think OrCAD and Protel are the most powerful PCB programs anf for simulation OrCAD is the best. I used it and it was very simple and powerful

I think Traxmaker also from altium, it is the most most most easy way to make a simple PCB, you can learn it in one hour or less.
regards

I use ORCAD for pcb design and circuit simulation. Im very satisfied with it.

Yup, I also using OrCad to design PCB, First use orCad Capture to design the electronic schematic circuits, in the same time you assign each of the component footprint, then you cread a netlist. Second step, use orCAd layout with the same netlist and start designing the pcb layout of your choice.

regards
fayes

Our Cad dept. uses Alegro and Mentor, which are both extremely expensive programs.

I personaly use EAGLE and have used it professionally for ~ 4 years.
pros:
I've used it for up to 6 layer boards. It will handle blind vias and multi-layers with ease. Almost all the designs I've done have been analog or mixed signal but no server or mother boards. The graphics are so easy to use that I use it to make technical illustrations. Has built in user language and script abilities. Has design rules checks including clearences, bends, etc. FREE and student versions available. Many User Language utilities available from other users available. Generates GERBERS for any PCB house to use.

cons:
It does no simulations or signal integrity calculations (it does do electrical checks, just not dynamic stuff). Has a different method of drawing, which is confusing if you have to switch back and forth to other graphics programs (I like EAGLE's better).

Just my opinion. A lot depends on what type of design you are doing. Most of those expensive programs have a long learning curve, but do much more, IF you need it.

Mentor Graphics
Altium Designer
ORCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back