Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which PCB design software is better, Zuken or Protel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmriso

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can somebody help me:cry:...i'm looking for PCB design software...My frien appoach me to buy ZUKEN Cadstar:!: but i like the Protel DXP interface:|...can u all advice me which one is the best:idea:...ignore about the price coz because i afford to buy but i want the best one..thanks for u're advise:|

Re: Zuken or Protel

hai,

Protel is the best. b'coz it's very user friendly and it has lot of options.

Rgds,
Prithivi.

qmriso

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Download/request evaluation copies of both and which you feel comfortable with use.

Cadstar seems to be pretty good.

qmriso

how about the technical support n library support..does anyone have experience with both software??

I have only experience of Cadstar out of these 2, and for support and library I can say...

If you are on the annual maintenance then you do get some support when you need it, you can have your files fixed when they get corrupted etc which is usually OK.

Library wise, there is a big collection of libraries available online at Zuken, however I have found that component manufacturers websites never provide Cadstar footprints but do sometimes provide Protel footprints for components.

All PCB programs will be hard to figure out until you are used to them, I dare say that I would be really puzzled over how Protel works. I do see more people able to help others with Protel so I assume that it is the more popular of the 2.

qmriso

It depends on what you want to do - 1. Simple single up to 4 or 6 layer design
2. Multilayer involving fine-pitch, bga or rf parts
(high speed)
If your work in no.1 then Protel is best. If your work in no.2 then go for Cadstar or Mentor.

qmriso

Zuken or P*otel

i like the easeness of routing in cadstar..kewl, as for protel its buggy like hell..doh, but i'm using one anyway..

qmriso

i also agree with mayu wakui....the routing is much simpler using cadstar

qmriso

Zuken or P*otel

OH yes - the Cadstar route editor is IMO excellent for routing.

A few bugs & quirks but very good for routing.

qmriso

Zuken or P*otel

hey..issit possible to import protel's netlist into cadstar? i'm too bz to try it myself..

Zuken or P*otel

please dont compare a kid and a man!

protel is for kids or babies :)

Binu G

Added after 3 minutes:

please dont compare a kid and a man!

protel is for kids or babies :) or for people who do the design using stickers (old tech) or who dont have any idea of Computer Aided PCB design.
because for them it will be the wonder of the world!
Protel DXP == "Software with no intelligence"

Binu G

I'm agree with binu G,
P*otel isn't so good to work faster...and about Hispeed routing there's no comparison
between them !!!!
Altium had a good PCB, P-CAD, but I heard that they'll don't support that enymore, in the future :-(
But depend what you have to do...

mkbs

Zuken or P*otel

I think what the above 2 are saying is that Cadstar is far superior to Protel.

However, we don't want to get into a this software is better than that software discussion.

If money is no object, and your intending to do some big & complicated designs and are prepared to put a concerned effort into learning to use, support and manage then Cadstar is highly reccomended.

If on the other hand you are not doing the big complicated designs that take a lot of preparation, planning & high speed routing (like a PC motherboard) then try Protel.

Heck if money is no object get a trial for both from the suppliers.

And "possible" is a term that sales people use when they want to sell the software.
Importing a Protel netlist into Cadstar is about as easy as just redrawing the entire thing again!

i agree with cyberrat.

if the design involves a lot of components with complicated routing task, then use cadstar

however, if the design involves lesser components but requires signal integrity analysis to be done, then use protel dxp. Protel is easier to learn too.

I have worked on both and currently using Protel. Most of my designs are high speed designs uptill 2.5Gbps with lesser than 30 components.

Hello..............

If u really need good,cheap and user friendly PCB software ,then go for EDWinXP1.50.They having good technical support team and free library
request option for life long.We can upgrade its version with small amount.
Now they launched the latest version 1.50. Its seems pretty good options
like ODB++import/export,powerful automatic copper removing tolls etc..

Try it out at www.visionics.a.se

Hello,

Have anyone used Tina designer?
I have a demo version and I find it good, better than EdWinXP or Eagle.
But I would like to know your opinions, as the demo is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back