Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is better: PLC or Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avr_micro

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which one is better PLC or Microcontroller?which one is stronger in applications?
Which one is easier and suitable for proffesinal projects?

PLC or MICRO?

PLC better in not complicate but speed application
uC better when algorithm has many branches.

Re: PLC or MICRO?

if your project is low speed and industrial (noisy environment) use plc otherwise use uc.

avr_micro said:
Which one is better PLC or Microcontroller?which one is stronger in applications?
If you can afford it, no doubts - the PLC!

i think an mcu could handle a more complex program compare to PLC..but depends anway..but hey, if ur project is small and simple..mite wana consider the much more cheaper mcu..neh?

avr_micro said:

it depends what type of application, if its and industrial application for sure opt for the PLC else if it's just a simple project which can be done by a µC opt for a suitable µC.

PS. regarding PLC's there are cheap one's like the Siemens LOGO Series , small cool and it's software can simulate the program :). You can even programm them from the PLC itself no need of cables etc. For simulation you need the cable :|

PLC or MICRO?

If your programming skills and hardware skills are well above average, go for the micro otherwise if you need to get teh job done fast and do not have micro programming experience, use the simpler PLC

Bob

PLC or MICRO?

i donot know why "Mozfet" is saying plc is better always. i think micro is more flexible only problem is it cannot work in high noisy enivronment without protection. i would like to have reply from Mozfet
reasons..

definitely PLC is a better option than uc

PLC or MICRO?

you can not compare PLC with uC !!!
each one have its specified application.

nikhilele said:
i donot know why "Mozfet" is saying plc is better always. i think micro is more flexible only problem is it cannot work in high noisy enivronment without protection. i would like to have reply from Mozfet
reasons..

PLC are widley used in automations (i.e. industrial applications), µC are less used in Industrial Applications :|

price(PLC)>20*price(µC) :)

reliability is a great factor , i don't know how good are u in uc but for sure the PLC is more reliable and durable, if u will install this project in a productive line for sure u have to find the suitable PLC for this what ever how is the complixity of the project

dear friend
tell us more about your project idea so we can justify which is better for your application

PLC or MICRO?

I think you are trying to compare different things: PLC is a ready to program/use (including all “peripherals”: optocouplers, calibrated 2-4/0-10 analog in/out, communications, RTC, HMI, etc.) and of course inside it exists an uC.
So you can build all this from the scratch in a uC, but my opinion is time lost.
Pay attention that exists things (complex algorithms, tasks requiring high speed, etc.) that you cannot do with a PLC, here you are forced to use a uC.

HH

NeuralC

avr_micro

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank for your guide.I think this is the best answer to the question.

IMHO, a PLC is for quick application where development time is short and demand of the product is low. When a robotic system requires a complex custom system for many machines, an embedded system (including a MCU) can be developed to save costs long term.

Personally I prefer using an MCU and designing a board fit for the purpose.

in industry sure we will use plc better work in industrial areas 2nd able to barrey high weight as well temp noise.for project we can use micro controller but not good in indutrial areas.

PLC or MICRO?

i think plc is more powerful in industry becuse it have more input and output and easy to programe then mic it want programe and small input and output

Status
Not open for further replies.