Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which one is better for making career in ASIC design or FPGA designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokkmr18

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have one query ...which one is good ASIC design OR FPGA designing ...becoz i am good at digital design with VHDL knoweldge
and right now i am 3rd year btech student of electronic & comm. ..doing my summer internship in ASIC deign flow at VNIT nagpur VLSI lab
as we know for ASIC design we require RTL coding with their functional simulation ..
and for FPGA design we also require RTL design language (VHDL or VERILOG)...plz help me out ..

If you want to design specific devices, ASIC sounds like a good career option. FPGA is more of testing. If you intend to work on various devices, go for FPGA designing. You can then send your design for manufacture (since chip fabrication in India hasn't evolved to the extent it should have, yet)

if i choose ASIC designing ...then which knowledge should i have to acquire like ...digital design , VHDl , knowledge of software like synopsys,modelsim, ise(xilinx),soc encounter by cadence ...Floor planing and routing ..or i have to also concerate on digital signal processing (DSP) lilke subject ...
as we know ASIC for specific purpose ..

In india... there is no as such ASIC design jobs......
In ASIC design....what we do in india is the verification job...ASIC functionality is implemented in FPGA (by some other company or third party)...and we test that functionality using VHDL or verilog testbenches... or other verification methodology...This is what verification job...
Where as in FPGA design .... you are open to write your own logic for particular application...So it involve Design and verification both....
Hope you understood....

thanks....
as told for verification purpose then ...which language vlsi company perfers , is it system verilog,vhdl ,verilog ...

- - - Updated - - -

if u can ...plz tell me the good books related for verification of design ..so i can learn early ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back