Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Microcontroller to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitron

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a project and i am confused on which microcontroller to use. The microcontroller has has to provide pulses for the induction motor. It is basically a closed loop control system in which we have to control the speed of induction motor using PWM technique.

The block diagram.
block diagram.jpg

Originally we had to use the 89c52(8052). People told me that it is very difficult to use 8051 or 8052 so i should better go for an Arduino. I haven't studied microcontrollers yet but unfortunately i have to use it for the project. Can an Arduino do all the functions described in the block diagram. I have no idea of microcontrollers. I haven't used or studied microcontrollers so i just want to use the method which would be easier and less tedious. Please help ASAP.

Choosing the correct microcontroller for a specific task, not only involves considering the features the device offers in conjunction with the required tasks.

The decision also must weigh the programmers experience with the particular device, availability of software development tools and the project budget.

As you've indicated, your experience with microcontrollers is limited.

What about programming experience, are you familiar and proficient with C or C++ coding?

The Arduino platform can certainly perform the required tasks in the block diagram. It will require additional sensors/components besides the Arduino development board.

The Arduino software development IDE is free and readily available with an extensive library of routines for many of the required tasks.

It is also a widely used platform with a large user base providing numerous forums and blogs for additional support.

Using an AT89C52, while certainly possible, would most likely present a much steeper learning curve, as it would entail writing many of the required routines from scratch.

BigDog

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I am familiar with the C/C++ programming but i dont know anything about the microcontrollers. We are studying the 8085 in this semester but we still haven;t reached the interfacing part. I also do not know how to connect the LCDs, keyboard etc to the microcontroller.

- - - Updated - - -

The microcontroller needs to do the following thing.
1) Take RPM from the inductive-magnetic sensor. Nr
2) Take the input desired value of speed from the user(whenever user enters a value). Nd
3) Compare the two values of speed.
4) Send the pulse according to the result of (3). i.e if Nd>Nr increase frequency and if Nr>Nd then decrease frequency.

As you're the beginner and wanted to start with MCU, according to me you should start with 8051.
I've seen that Arduino had make beginners handicap. Because you'll be in the state of mind which motivates you to go ahead with MCU related projects.But in future you'll realize the difference.
And ya, I am not against the Arduino, it's a great thing for beginners for professionals and even for experts...

Just think why you've 8085 in your syllabus??? (As it is out dated processor!) It is because that gives you a boost to start with embedded system and will introduce you with some basic concepts.
So I strongly recommend you 8051 to start with.
You will get number of tutorials for your particular project.
All the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.