Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which microcontroller to use to control a BLDC motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo2020

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to develop a controller for a 1500W BLDC motor and would like to know what microcontroller I can use for this.
I have run several tests with the PIC18F4431 and PIC16F887. I have not obtained the expected result.
Currently what pic is there to perform this type of control?

Hi,

To get a suitable answer you need to give all informations first.
Like:
* your control hardware (scheme)
* your control loop algorithm
* your inputs for the control loop

With the suitable hardware almost any microcontroller will do.
But there are microcontroller especially designed for motor control. A search will find them
And there are more than enough design examples in the internet. Just do a search at the microcontroller manufacturers.

Klaus

I attach my scheme in the following image.

3.JPG

Thanks.

If the task is to perform the simulation only, then you need to get rid of analog part. It is useless to simulate power electronics in proteus. It's just a simple toy to make some estimations very far from reality. No driver, no power transistors, just mcu and bldc is enough to debug your code. Tuning up variables can be done in real hw after.
Don't tell me please that you wanna build this in real hw. My day is just started and i'm in good mood now.

The scheme is the idea of ​​what I want to do.
For the proteus simulation I only use the MCU and the oscilloscope to see the PWM signal at the outputs.
The doubt is the next one.

Hi,

I already wote this..

Did you do the microcontroller search?
Did you do the application note / design example search?
From your schematic ... it seems you didn't go through the design examples...neither from microcontroller nor from power design..

In case you used any schematic/document/reference design from the internet, then please post the link.
Mind: Don't rely on random hobbyist's informations. I've recommended the semiconductor manufacturers because they support you with reliable informations.

What else do you need to know?

Klaus

Thanks for the info.
So you tell me this scheme is not going to help me to control a BLDC motor.
Could you advise me some type of information or documentation where to start the design of a control for a BLDC motor?

Hi,

Could you advise me some type of information or documentation where to start the design of a control for a BLDC motor?
Semiconductor manufacturers provide such informations.
I thought I mentioned this before...

Klaus

geo2020

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
As Klaus mentioned, the information on the major microcontroller manufacturer's are your best friends: Microchip, STMicro, Infineon, NXP. Even Far East suppliers will do.

Since you have shown a Microchip device, I will show you a screen shot of the Microchip web page, for you to continue searching:

Capture microchip.PNG

Thanks for the info.
So you tell me this scheme is not going to help me to control a BLDC motor.

Hi,

My two cents about what you should look for to make your life easier:

-A Microcontroller with hardware support for PWM generation of at least 3 phases. If it is able to insert dead-time between on leg high and low side transistor, much better, since the driver you use doesn´t do this.
-If you plan to control current cycle by cycle, one able to link Analog to Digital conversions with PWM time base.

From a BLDC motor control perspective, those two are the 2 main characteristics I can think of right now, if you plan to do simple six-step control.
If you plan something smarter like FOC, you need something powerful enough to do the calculations needed.

In Microchip terms, the BLDC motor control peripheral is called "POWER CONTROL PWM MODULE", look for a part with it, like, for example PIC18F4431.
Note this one would probably be too slow for FOC.

Regards

geo2020

One possibility, look at the way this is done in Cypress PSOC, then apply the principles
to your Microchip approach.

Note Microchip may not have some of the analog capability in the Cypress. Otherwise
principles the same.

Example project, single chip except for high current drivers. Most of chips resources still left
for other design needs, see right hand window.

PSOC BLDC Sensored.JPG

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

geo2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back