Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which microcontroller is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
top microcontrollers

There is not correct answer to this question, it depends on individual preference and application.

which is best pic microcontroller or avr

It depends on your requirements

wich microcontroller best

cesare said:
It depends on your requirements

and your budget maybe,, coz PICs are relatively more expensive than AVR..

AVRs have been used in various automotive applications such as security, safety, powertrain and entertainment systems. Atmel has recently launched a new publication "Atmel Automotive Compilation" to help developers with automotive applications. Some current usages are in BMW, Daimler-Chrysler and TRW.

The Arduino physical computing platform is based on an ATMega168 (or ATmega8 in older versions) processor.

USB-based AVRs have been used in the Microsoft Xbox hand controllers. The link between the controllers and Xbox is USB.

Lego has recently released the firmware source code files for 8-bit AVRs to aid in the development of open-source alternatives to its popular robotics NXT "brick" operating system.

System Semiconductor,Inc recently released the "System on a Chip", which is a Motor and Motion Control Chip, the M3000 with an Atmel AVR Core married to an Advanced Motion Controller for use in a variety of motion applications.

In my opinion the better micro is that for wich you can have at a very affordable price all the development tools you need to work on.
I personally use pic micro after having make and buyed some programmers, a development board and some software to develop on.

For pic-micro you can obtain in the web almost anythink you need starting from a null price until all the money you can spent..

The gcc compatibility of AVR microcontrollers place them over the PIC micros. I think that the gnu software for realize application based in this iC are of very high level. The architecture is really nice, modern, and powerfull.

actualy, for new bigenner 89c51 is the best choice.

it depends on your need...like if u need a complete processor with many integrated functions then go for PIC or AVR...
if u just need a few functions but a larger memory go for 89c51 rd2....which is inexpensive and supports good amount of functions...
other choices are Atmega series....

narrow down as per your requirements...budget speed availablity...

avr is also easily available than pic

The "Best One" is the one you know how to code or can learn easily, and has the inputs/output types, on or off-chip support needed (i.e. xtal/resonator, Schmidt trigger inputs, native PWM outputs etc), and power consumption you require.

Almost all modern design controllers are In Circuit programmed, early PICs and some current ones need an expensive EPROM type programmer to install/change code.

Sometimes, the insane price of a basic stamp with the extra instructions and on board support circuitry will provide everything, but from a performance standpoint, I wouldn't call it "The Best", but in some applications, it is the ticket (advanced end user can make easy software changes, etc).

Look for a chip in a family that has exactly what you need, and you either know the assembly for the family or have a good to pro-level C (or other language) compiler for that controller. Then look at current ratings. Many general purpose use much more current reading 4 inputs, creating 3 PWM outputs, and an LCD simultaneous option which does impact final performance. Sometimes going to a specialized controller (simple 8 pin) will use much less current and perform the function better then a big general purpose with everything 'ignored' except for the function you need. Power consumption/heat play a role, as does clock speed.

I am a PIC fan, but also use AVR and even Basic Stamps on occasion! This is ONLY because I learned PIC assembly first when jumping into the world of microcontrollers.

Others are dedicated to the AVR family, and some prefer a complete processor/RAM/peripheral bus clocked at 10x microcontroller speed to do the same function, as that is what they know (spendy, and low current is out of question, generally)

PIC has a HUGE number of controllers, each with more or fewer features so that your application uses 100% of the device if you choose the correct one. Using a 40+ pin for what could be done by a 8 pin is a waste of time and resources, as the 40 pin packages' circuitry still scans all I/O and options while running the simple program.

For an extreme example of this, would you build a 3Ghz CISC machine (PC, for example), to only write boot code to toggle pins on the parallel port to flash LEDs twice a second? Same can be done for $1 at the controller level,, in addition, the LED's can be bright or dim with PWM output built into that same, low cost item.

I hope the above expands on "Depends on application".

P.S. If I were to do it all over again, I'm sure I'd still be a PIC fan, due to the wide range of devices created so you only get what you need., but can still do most testing/playing on a 16F877, which transfers over to the 'best' specific device with minor modifications.

depends on you needs and application. pic is generally used for high speed appl. and AVR is used for plc based appl

I like the AVRs better, mainly because of the availablity of mature open source development software.

THE ONE THAT YOU KNOW AND SUITS BEST FOR YOUR APPLICATION

Please dont ask such questions. Each and every micro has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Nandhu

I think AVR, because it does what it is designed to do. And it has very useful features for an engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back