Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

diablo39

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have recently decided to do some programming with microcontroller.

I have looked through internet and found some material on RX62N development board seems like nice board with alot gadgets on and found some good course material. Has anyone else used this board, were the any problems, was it easy to use, and good board to learn basic programming and maybe advance further.

I have also looked at 8051 but not extensively, but have looked at pic and like this as it comes with microlab software which seesm like you can test programs on software provided allowing to learn with out having pic which seems to be good to start point, also like the idea can buy developement boards for this device.

Then have also looked at AVR which seems ok but cant find much material on programming in form tutorials, well as someone who has some knowledge of microntrollers, but only really run simple programs on micro at college were everything was set up (i.e hadware was designed, system was set, all had to do was write program and download run from set instructions).

Well were to start, am very intrested in buying RX62N but unsure for someone learning is that good starting point.

so any advice please, which micro to start with, which dev board, which is best to learn for indrustry reqiruments, should i start with assembly or c or both.

PIC :

**broken link removed**

AVR:

**broken link removed**

When I started with mcu stuff ,I started with Microchip's PIC16F84A as its architecture is simple and it have a lot of resource over web, any way if you want to go for Atmel’s product then go for 8051/8052/8053 architecture like AT89S52

Good Luck

Personely I would start with C, and use AVR's.

This is based on experience with various micro's including PIC, AVR, MSP, RABBIT...

AVR's are in my oppinion perfect for the beginner.

There are loads of dev kits available and "AVR freaks" forum is full of tutorials, you will also find lots of example code and projects on Atmels website.

All you will need to get started is a dev kit and a JTAGICE MkII (debugger).
There is also a cheaper alternative to the JTAGICE, called the AVR dragon.

Here's a basic dev kit on farnells web site:
OLIMEX|AVR-MT128|KIT, DEVELOPMENT, ATMEGA128 BOARD | Farnell United Kingdom

Many people will argue that PIC is the way to go, google "AVR vs PIC for beginner" and make up your mind.

Regards
Chris

Hi,

If you said you wanted to learn about Micros from a hobby point of view the AVR or PIC micros are the obvious choice; they are simple to use and program and widely supported by the manufacturers and many forums like this one.

The RX62 board does look very attractive but quicky viewing its site, it does seem aimed more at the college or professional user with a good basic understanding of programming already.
The Renesas Demonstration Kit for RX62N is also the hardware platform that is included in a special RX62N-specific edition of Micrium’s book on the µC/OS-III Real Time Kernel. The book and board combo targets serious programmers and college students who need to understand and create programs based on the timesaving features of a real-time kernel.

You will also find that hardware and software support may well be limited on how many boards they sell.

If you want to learn assembler then possibly the Pics have more online tutorials, though there is always a big debate as to if you should do Assembler or C.

If you want something to give you a low cost taster of Micros and C/ C++ programming then look at the little Arduino Uno board.
It may seem like nothing compared to the RX62, but it will have you up and programming it within minutes and has a very active support forum / playground.
You simply need a USB cable and you are away ; just add a little breadboard to expand the Uno board for any extra devices / circuitry you want to use.
Arduino - ArduinoBoardUno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back