Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which lite Linux Distribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibrahimbayram

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lite linux distro

Hi ALL,
I am planning to use Linux for an application. I am using x486 based Single Board Computer with 133 MHz CPU and 32MB RAM with Compact Flash(i didnt set the size yet). I only need X windows and ethernet. I am looking for the free distributions which covers my requirements.I have tried to install RH8.0(it didnt worked:cry: i coudnt installed). I hear too much about Damn Small Linux. I have tried to install DeliLinux(couldnt installed too:cry:)..I need a guidance about the right distribution.
Which embedded Linux is the best for me?

best linux lite distribution

u can also try knoppix if u are interrested in live cd's

lite linux distribution

I prefer the debian´s distribution, right now it´s available the stable version 3.1 or Sarge.
But, if you are interrested in live cd's, i´m agreee with puviarasu, i think knoppix is the better choice.
There is another distribution that works fine with live CD´s, the name of distribution is Tuquito. You can find it at:

**broken link removed**

Best R.

Guille

being an electrical engineer , in order to gain maximum from foss , i would prefer u to use ubuntu.

ubuntu6.06 is too much fast easy to install ,free to ship at your door ,enhanced software repository ,extreme graphical support and having an active forum and irc chat to help u any time without any cost

plz have a look at

www.ubuntu.com

www.ubuntuforums.org

just visit once even if u don't want to use ubuntu

best regards

Last edited by a moderator:

You can select what to install with Mandrake.
just select network and X to install.

I like debian. but if you can also try some other Unix-like system, for example Freebsd
Freebsd is more steady

If you wanna lite linux distro try this:

Feather linux (~60mb)
Puppy linux (this one is very nice even small ~60mb)
Slax (~200mb)
Damn Small Linux (you already know about this)

But if you wanna install linux in old computer i dont think it would be wise (except u use console only). NetBSD is nice also it support even old hardware :).

The solution is if you wanna install it in old computer with X use desktop manager such as
BlackBox dont even try use gnome or KDE.

Hope this will help

Status
Not open for further replies.