Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux version is the best for beginner to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clone

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Till data I am using windows operatin using.But I want to start Linux but I donnt know from where I should start.I am very new for this operating system?Can anybody suggest me what could be best process for learning the LINUX. I came to know that different type of linux operation system is also available..like REDHAT,FEDORA core, SUSE etc Now which is best for person like me which is absoltely new.

Re: linux help

For your first experience in linux you can try live with CD’s. You boot from the CD and then you have a complete linux system. The advantage is that you don’t have to install it onto your harddrive.

SUSE and Ubuntu are user friendly linuxes. SUSE provides a live CD and at Ubuntu the installation CD is a live CD.

Reactions: flyto

flyto

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You could also try using vmWare.. which is an emulator. It runs on windows and can emulate a linux operating system.

Installing linux for you might get you in trouble.. as you need to know something about partitioning,
So better is to play safe and use live CD or vmWare..

Cheers!

linux help

Do we need to buy all this or we can get these
free on internet???

You can download linux for free.
VirtualBox is also free.
When you want to use VMWare you have to buy it.

Added after 10 minutes:

Information to VMWare:
VMWare has also a free version: http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

It also possible to use VMWare Player with preinstalled linux images.
So have only to download the player and the image and you can use linux.

VMWare Player: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Images for VMWare Player:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I have used almost all types of distributions, and in my opinion the latest ubuntu 10.10 would be really user friendly options to start with.

clone;564188But I want to start Linux but I donnt know from where I should start.[/QUOTE said:
First thing is you get one Live medium like LiveCD, LiveUSB distro and play arround it for some time. When you will get a Hang out of it then go for a full fledged Distro like Fedora, Slackware, Debian etc.

I am very new for this operating system?Can anybody suggest me what could be best process for learning the LINUX. I came to know that different type of linux operation system is also available..like REDHAT,FEDORA core, SUSE etc Now which is best for person like me which is absoltely new.

Well in the first part I have answered how to start. Next I will tell you how to choose when you are comfortable with Linux.
By comfortable I mean you have to learn the art of linux system management.( Well this doesn't mean you have to be a pro SYSADMIN kind) Just you have to be comfortable with command mode operation.

Then depending on your requirement you can select a distro.
1) for day to day work You may choose Ubuntu or Fedora
2) For Local server setup you may use Fedora or RHEL
3) For embedded system Development may use Debian
4) For customizing and Gifting Linux YOu may consider DSL,Puppy,Austrumi

Hope I have not puzzled you.

ubutu is best for beginners
Fedora is friendly for Developers

I f encounter any problem u can easily get help for ubutu since many forums are active for ubuntu but for fedora u will get few so if u are beginner use ubuntu and then u can transform to Fedora.

any version is best for beginners in my opinion....
because in any type of linux version you need to practice commands so that you will get idea like installing packages etc...
so if you need commands help simply mail to me i will send commands manual

which Linux Os is for the use of Embedded system

Reactions: py8elo

py8elo

so if you need commands help simply mail to me i will send commands manual

Any one can Use "man" for commands or even "Info" to view the details of commands.

Even TLDP.org has very good resource.

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

which Linux Os is for the use of Embedded system

1) for embedded linux, If you want to pay money go for montavista. Else you may consider build root for creating your custom compiled/cross compiled linux
2) If you want to develop Embedded applications then you can use any distribution with appropriate cross-compiler and sdk.

UBUNTU IS THE BEST LINUX RELEASE TO START WITH AS IT IS SIMPLE IN DESIGN AND CAN BE INSTALLED INSIDE WINDOWS.. PACKAGES CAN BE EASILY INSTALLED IN UBUNTU AND IT'S ALSO FREE.. IT'S ALSO SUPPORTED BY MANY SAND BOX APLLICATIONS TO RUN INSIDE WINDOWS..

HOPE THIS HELPS.. :)

Last edited:

I am not a UBUNTU user, But Ubuntu is good no doubt. But if you want to start-off with some thing then use a small Live Distro.
Like DSL, Puppy Linux etc...

But I will suggest go to the basic like Slackware. You can know how the things work. it will be a very long and bumpy journey but enjoyable.

If you just want to try and familiarise with linux commands, cygwin and mingw would be the best. They can be installed within windows and they don't require any partitioning. Alternatively, you could try ubuntu. That too can be installed and removed from within windows, but with a slight depreciation in performance, which won't be noticable in most cases. I don't know about the rest, but when i installed fedora, i had to partition and change the disk format to ext4.
Most linux os use ext2 or ext 4 and most generally can't read NTFS of windows without additional software.

some linux distributions have an annoying but safe feature called SELinux. disable it when using else even Scilab refused to run.

If you just want to try and familiarise with linux commands, cygwin and mingw would be the best.

These are basic shells so not exactly linux.

They can be installed within windows and they don't require any partitioning. Alternatively, you could try ubuntu. That too can be installed and removed from within windows, but with a slight depreciation in performance, which won't be noticable in most cases. I don't know about the rest, but when i installed fedora, i had to partition and change the disk format to ext4.
Most linux os use ext2 or ext 4 and most generally can't read NTFS of windows without additional software.
Well you are right. But On Fedora I dont have problem in read/write on NTFS.
some linux distributions have an annoying but safe feature called SELinux. disable it when using else even Scilab refused to run.

There is a Joke about SElinux " Even Root doesn't have permission to rootfs"

Reactions: ninju

ninju

If you want to learn Linux, Slackware is the best.
There is a saying that if you learn Ubuntu, you learn Ubuntu, if you learn Fedora, you learn Fedora, if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux. All the wrapper made around many linux distributions that tried to make it easier to use goes backwards for learning the core part of linux. Crudeness of Slackware forces you to learn the stuffs.

if you learn Slackware, you learn Linux. Crudeness of Slackware forces you to learn the stuffs.

100% correct. All these distribution have originated from slackware. I remember the Early version of RedhatLinux( NOT RHEL) are nothing more than slackware renamed and put on CD-ROM.

Status
Not open for further replies.