Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which Linux version is most compatible with HP laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safwatonline

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
anyone tried installing linux on hp laptops i need to know how much it is compatible, and whether there are known drivers/hardware problem?
thnx

Re: Linux on Hp

Which distribution of linux? In terms of Fedora 9 for example, I know some hp laptops with ATI card have problems. It has the latest X.org server version that ATI has no compatible driver yet.

Take a look at this site, I follow this site for many years, always fun to read user experiences:

https://www.linux-laptop.net/

Linux on Hp

well, i speak in general, but lets say redhat enterprise or SUse10.2
more important to me is hardware issues related to:
Video card (nvidia)
SATA HDD
Dual core processor (64bit)
WLAN
LAN
Keyboard/touch pad
Battery monitor
USB
SOund

Linux on Hp

I just installed a new HP laptop with RHEL AS4U6.
As the CPU of this laptop is AMD x64 dual core, I tried to install 64Bit version of the RHEL. By default, you have to manually install drivers for video card, LAN and sound. I have problem with the driver for WLAN. The WLAN chip is Atheros AR5007. I cannot build the driver successfully.

safwatonline

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Linux on Hp

If you're a beginner in Linux trying to install manually a driver could be complicated.
I suggest to try first Mandriva. If you have to install something you probably find and "rpm" version that's installed almost in a "double click".

Linux on Hp

Yesterday I successfully built the driver for the HP laptop installed with 64Bit RHELAS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.