Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which LINUX kernel for Cadence IC 5, 2.4.22.xx in REDHAT 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gezzas525

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Currently hhaving a go with REDHAT 9 on my DELL M60 laptop however using the default kernel 2.4.20.xx iam unable to have it support ACPI, hence the laptop is running quite hot with no speedstep and battery indicators etc...

I was told that kernel 2.4.22.xx will work fine and ACPI will be enabled, the problem is whether its advisable to use this kernel in REDHAT 9 as RH9 only supports upto 2.4.20.

Is kernel 2.4.22.xx stable enough to do this and will it work OK with my EDA tools?

For now I have RH9 running in VMWARE GSX server but I would prefer using it without a virtual machine.

Can people offer me some options, any help will be appreciated?

What about Redhat WS 3 etc...

Re: Which LINUX kernel for Cadence IC 5, 2.4.22.xx in REDHAT

I think the issue is not the kernel but the accompaning libraries, especially those responsible for the windowing system and standard I/O functions, which are mainly used by EDA software. As for WS, many EDA verdors support it because it is much more stable (fewer updates per year). I am not sure about the current situation with Cadence though.

Status
Not open for further replies.