Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the smallest external crystal oscillator available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I want to design a circuit in which the size should be as small as possible. Can u suggest the smallest available crystal oscillator to be connected on an atmega microcontroller...?

I guess you know the difference between a crystal (passive) and a crystal oscillator (active device), otherwise review the datasheets. An ATmega can use both, if configured respectively.

Because most microprocessors have a built-in oscillator circuit, they are usually operated with crystals, in other words simple resonators. Ceramic resonators (sligthy cheaper but less accurate) can be used too, but aren't small.

I guess you know the difference between a crystal (passive) and a crystal oscillator (active device), otherwise review the datasheets. An ATmega can use both, if configured respectively.

Because most microprocessors have a built-in oscillator circuit, they are usually operated with crystals, in other words simple resonators. Ceramic resonators (sligthy cheaper but less accurate) can be used too, but aren't small.

Yup I know..
So since ceramic resonators aren't small I should go for external oscillator right? Also in arduino mega board I have seen a very very small oscillator, but I didn't checked if it is an active or passive one...

Status
Not open for further replies.