Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is the PIC compiler using C

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudheepsrc

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which is the best PIC compiler (in c )?

thanks in advance....................................

Re: PIC compiler

mikroC PIC and CCS PIC C are equally good ones.

The best PIC compiler in C is HITECH C rather than Mikro C. But Mikro C has an advantage that it contains many library functions useful to the user. So better for beginners go to MikroC & then go for Hi tech C.
Regards.
Jerin. :)

Basically I never used it and have no Idea about it,but I will rather return with positive response and information about this,Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

CCS C Complier of course ! ! ! ! ! :-D :-D :-D :-D

All the rest are either pricey or !@#$$# :wink:

thanks
a

Microchip as the manufacturer of the PIC MCUs has a range of C compliers from C18 for PIC18 series up to C30 for 16 bit series and of course something for 32 bit versions.
I've heared lots of complains about Microchip C ones as they are rather wired or the IDE is strange, but to be honest I myself use them and prefer to use them as Microchip should knows its products better. All Microchips C examples are also being written in their C.
Microchip also has student versions that can be downloaded and installed for free.
By the way, keep in mind that whatever you use is based on the standard libraries and they are just different in the very specific functions they provide.
I myself never try to use very complex functions for complex projects as they are not so easily managable, specially while timing is of a great importance. Instead I try to make my own. As a result, there is not a big difference in them while you really dont want to use the built in functions.

Mahdi.

The best PIC compiler in C is HITECH C rather than Mikro C. But Mikro C has an advantage that it contains many library functions useful to the user. So better for beginners go to MikroC & then go for Hi tech C.
Regards.

+1: I agree. But the C Compiler inside the MPLAB software isn't that bad either. If you want to keep it really cheap, that is the best choice... However, it doesn't contain any libraries either.
Something about the MikroC libraries: They malfunction sometimes and most of the time the software written in MikroC runs on the simulator but not on the actual hardware. I don't know what's wrong but I got a C+ in Embedded Systems just because the project wasn't working. :p And those libraries aren't even so much of help. If you know a little bit of C you can probably write your own function and save them in header files...
I haven't used HITECH, so I have no idea how or what that is...

Hi,
I don't work much with C, but I find products from mikroelektronika very good and admire mikroC and mikroBasic(this is what I mostly use for both PIC and AVR).

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

+1: I agree. But the C Compiler inside the MPLAB software isn't that bad either. If you want to keep it really cheap, that is the best choice... However, it doesn't contain any libraries either.
Something about the MikroC libraries: They malfunction sometimes and most of the time the software written in MikroC runs on the simulator but not on the actual hardware. I don't know what's wrong but I got a C+ in Embedded Systems just because the project wasn't working. :p And those libraries aren't even so much of help. If you know a little bit of C you can probably write your own function and save them in header files...
I haven't used HITECH, so I have no idea how or what that is...

Hi,
I don't mean to be rude, but if you failed to make some project work due to mikroC, I think it is something wrong that you are doing rather than mikroC. mikroC is a great compiler with helpful libraries and there is absolutely no reason why your project should not work if it is done properly. I've done a few large projects with mikroBasic and there was NO PROBLEM in any of them once I cleared any problems there were in the hardware side of things.

I have not worked on C that much even can say not work in C, I want to know what is the main differences between both mikroC and CCS PIC C???? which one should I start with and if is there any similator for these then please suggest. I want to start with any one of them with small examples. plz help

I had the situation and I chose Microchip C.
Don't look for the best. The time will come you prefer to have your own made library.

Mahdi.

Hi,
I don't work much with C, but I find products from mikroelektronika very good and admire mikroC and mikroBasic(this is what I mostly use for both PIC and AVR).

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Hi,
I don't mean to be rude, but if you failed to make some project work due to mikroC, I think it is something wrong that you are doing rather than mikroC. mikroC is a great compiler with helpful libraries and there is absolutely no reason why your project should not work if it is done properly. I've done a few large projects with mikroBasic and there was NO PROBLEM in any of them once I cleared any problems there were in the hardware side of things.

I apologise... Maybe it was some fault in hardware... I was just mentioning a personal experience.

go 4 mikroC.. it provides many library functions that u can use right away

It is recommended for beginners only. Other wise work out with other compilers like Hi-tech C , CCS etc,
Regards,

CCS C is the best one compared with price, libraries and support

the BEST one is the one you have installed on your computer and feel comfortable using.
I would personally go with CCS, but that is because I have used it so much... others have their advantages however.
I would just get one and start working with it.

CCS is nice because there is minimal assembly language involved... this could be a disadvantage depending on how you look at it however, because eventually you may have to learn and use assembly.

the BEST one is the one you have installed on your computer and feel comfortable using.....................

That's the right answer!
Get started with one, and keep manual on the table.

S.

hi all

I dont know how to downlaod CCS? I have downloaded Micro C, but my friend suggested me CCS. How can i download CCS and use it also want a site where the training for micro C or CCS is given.

regards

hi all

I dont know how to downlaod CCS? I have downloaded Micro C, but my friend suggested me CCS. How can i download CCS and use it also want a site where the training for micro C or CCS is given.

regards

google... you will easily find a download link :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back